Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   COOK : WHERE TO STAY ??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/cook-where-to-stay-20537/)

Monica Jan 16th, 1998 04:42 AM

COOK : WHERE TO STAY ???

Next Summer I would like to spend an holiday in the Cook. (Rarotonga and Aiutataki).
Which are the best hotel in Rarotonga ? Pacific Resort, Muri Beachcomber or Manuia Beach ?
Do you think about Cook ?

Else Jensen Jan 18th, 1998 10:27 PM

I'm also interested in visiting these islands this year as well as traveling to the outer islands. Any good recommendations? Interests are scuba, hiking, and general adventures. Please e-mail replies. Thanks.

Richard Jan 20th, 1998 10:47 PM

Pacific Resort is definitely the nicest, has the nicest secluded beach, all watersports activities included, and a very nice patio/bar area. Spend the few extra dollars and don't be dissapointed. This is the nicest place on the Island. The Raratongan Resort is the 2nd best, probably the best value. Lot's going on here, very nice facilities, the beach is not as private, but still a nice spot. Expect people to be very laid back; they work on their own schedule. Don't be demanding, it's a different world. Be careful renting mopeds; one person from our flight went back home with a cast due to a moped accident - they're crazy on that circle hwy around the island. Lots of hiking, and horse rental to the falls in the middle of the Island (bring long pants & mosquito repellent; it's still worth it). Aitutaki is FABULOUS. Very very relaxed and laid back. Stay at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort Hotel. They only have about 25 private huts and dont' be too affraid of cockroaches. It's not infested, but be prepared. Take Bishop's Lagoon Cruise - this was the highlight of our trip - snorkelling, and a fabulous BBQ on a private beach (One Foot Island). Don't cheap out; we were glad to go to this Island. Our flight from Vancouver included a 3-day stay-over in Tahitii. Tahitii is very beautiful, but stay at a nice resort hotel and away from downtown. It's expensive. We have more info. if you are interested. Enjoy, but take our advise for Rarotonga hotels.

Lynda Mar 21st, 1998 07:41 PM

I am also interested in going to the Cook Islands. I sent an email note to Tourism Cook Islands at
[email protected] and they sent me a wonderful brochure. Some of the hotels here have web sites. The brochure breaks down the accomodations into groups - hotels/resorts, self-catering units, etc. Wonderful pictures and great descriptions. Also, spoke to our travel agent who just got back from the Cooks and he recommends these self catering units:
- Muri Beachcomber
- The Little Polynesian
- Rarotongan Sunset
- Sokala Villa (expensive but great)

He also recommends the Moana Sands Hotel.

He visited all sites and took pictures.
Hope this helps.

Lynda

Gary Muth Oct 12th, 1998 05:27 AM

I recently stopped at Rarotonga for three days of holiday on my way back from a business trip to Australia. It was my second visit in six months. The place really grows on you. It is incredible. <BR> <BR>Since I usually travel to make money, not to spend it, I try to keep costs down and find the best values. The best accomodation value I found on the island is at the Sunrise Beach Motel. I paid $30.00 NZ a night for a bungalow with cooking facilities right on the beach. You really can't beat that! Although it's located on a poor stretch of beach, the best beach on the island, Muri, on the lagoon, is just down the road. <BR> <BR>When I was last in Raro, I stayed at the Kii Kii Motel closer to town. It was OK but not near any of the beaches <BR> <BR>The best value in Backpacker accomodation has got to be Vara's Guesthouse. It's right on the Muri lagoon with its own secluded beach. <BR> <BR>If you haven't guessed it, Muri is where you want to be. There are other nice places, but it really is the best. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>