Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Cook Islands vs Moorea (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/cook-islands-vs-moorea-77948/)

Jackie Jun 30th, 2000 04:05 PM

Cook Islands vs Moorea

I am trying to decide between these two islands and am considering going in November by myself. How would they compare for weather, not feeling too out of place by myself, etc.?

us tourist Jun 30th, 2000 07:33 PM

Hi, <BR>I have been to Moorea <BR>1 week in 1996 <BR>2 weeks in 1997 <BR>1 week in 1999 <BR>& got back from a week in Rarotonga a few weeks ago. <BR>Actually those islands (to me ) are very similar. If you are coming from the united states the prices in Rarotonga a alot cheaper than Moorea. But dont let that persuade you. I 've seen people travel by themselves on both islands (maybe more so On Raro) Weather wise , I think they are very close . Raro is a two hour palne flight wast of Moorea. In August, Air new Zealand will have a non stop flight to Raro. Currently, if traveling from Los Angeles, California (united States) YOu must stop in Hawaii or tahiti first before landing in Raro. As far as feeling left out, These are both honeymoon destinations, with a few more younger people traveling in Raro . Dont worry about being by yourself. I saw women traveling alone (from England, germany, new zealand and australia). That's who visits the cooks most often. In moorea there are several french and then americans. November , I think is an off time for the french to travel to Moorea. They usually go in July and August. Both islands are very beautiful. There are things to do in small groups and everyone has been nice. If you have any more specific ?'s, let me know. Either island you choose , you will be very happy. If you let me know what activites you plan on doing while on the islands, I can let you know how much is costs. Also, I'm very familar with the accomadations on each ilsand and will tell you if there are nicer places to stay for the money and location. (you dont want to spend alot and be stuck on the bad side of the island. <BR>

Martine Jul 4th, 2000 01:21 AM

Hi Jackie & US Tourist. I too am thinking about going to Cook Islands (Rarotonga) in September for 2 weeks. I don't know very much about the island, but if you have any information on the best hostels and places to stay, I would be most grateful! <BR> <BR>Many thanks. Good luck with your trip Jackie

us tourist Jul 7th, 2000 02:12 PM

Hi again! <BR>Well, as for as hostels go, I'm not too familair with them. I will say if you are interested in water activites (hopefully you are because it is an island), try to stay on the east to southeast side of the island where the water is good for snorkeling, swimming, hanging out on the beach(muri beach is very long and nice), and canoeing. Also, the island has an excellent bus service, so it is possible to get around without having to rent a scooter or car for the full two weeks. You must go obviously on the buses schedule though.Lonely planet has a book called rarotonga and the cook islands. It was very helpful for me to read that before I went.I think September is a great time for you to go. The island does have little lizards, cockroaches (two inches ) and huge spiders(no kidding i saw one three inches by three inches.) FYI

Jackie Jul 8th, 2000 12:36 PM

Dear U.S. tourist, thanks for your suggestions. I am wondering if you are familiar with the Muri Beachcomber, Pacific Resort, and the Lagoon Lodges on Rarotonga, and if you have any recommendations of which to stay. Also, would you recommend a day trip to Aitutaki, or to stay for several days. Thanks, again.

Peggy Jul 9th, 2000 09:09 AM

We stayed in Koromiri Villa at Pacific Resorts in May '99. It was fantastic. The lagoon there is the best on the island. I think the price for what you get is much greater in the Cook Islands than Moorea, where we have also been & I think a more comfortable place to travel solo. Seems there was a lot of people doing that. More night life & very friendly people. Unfortuately the weather did not cooperate to take the trip to Aukitaki. There was a freak rain (cyclone?!) storm that sent part of the mountain behind the resort crashing through & flooding eveerything in the middle of the night! The resort had to be closed & we were moved to the Rarotongan. A nice resort but much bigger, not as intimate as Pacific. It depends on what you are looking for though. You would probably met more people at a larger property. It is a bit cooler in these islands than Tahiti or Fiji since it is further south. There are many good restaurants & all price ranges. Everyone speaks English & you feel welcome & safe. Do go on one of the hotels "Pub Crawls" on Friday night. It was a blast. Then you'll be familiar with places you may want to return to. Have a great time!

us tourist Jul 9th, 2000 05:22 PM

In my opinion, I would stay at the Pacific Resort or Muri beachcomber before Lagoon Lodges. The beach is very nice by the Pacific Resort and muri Beachcomber. I think you will be happy with either one. I believe Pacific resort is more expensive. Since you're not in your room during the day, why spend the extra money ? (You'll be sleeping). Instead of spending the exxtra money at pacific resort, take a plane flight to Aitutaki. Now, I went for 10 days...something most people dont do. Most people stay for 1-3 nights maximum. The island is very beautiful and the lagoon is magnificent. If you think about it, when will be the next time you would travel to the cooks...maybe never, right? So, you might as well go. I hope the weather turns out for you. When the sun is out you can really see how beautiful these two islands are. The lagoon cruise is great on Aitutaki.

Jackie Jul 12th, 2000 10:58 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. It has all been very helpful.

Tim Jul 13th, 2000 09:04 AM

If you are considering Mooroea, by all means go to Bora Bora as well. It's a puddle-jumper flight away, and worth the effort and expense.

Lynda Jul 26th, 2000 08:10 PM

Been to both and definitely prefer the Cooks. We found it to be much slower paced and the people to be friendler. We were there for Xmas 98 and have just booked for three weeks this coming December. We will be staying at Muri Beachcomber (same as last time). Muri Beachcomber has self-catering one-bedroom units. If you don't feel like cooking, just walk 100 yards up the beach to the Pacific Resort. Great place to stay and managed by wonderful people. Just email me if you have any other questions.

Jackie Aug 24th, 2000 12:51 PM

I had a reservation at the Muri Beachcomber in November and my travel agent just told me they had been overbooked. I have now changed to Palm Grove Lodges, since it is the only other place that is available for that time. Can anyone give me any insight re: this property? I am somewhat disappointed, since I did want to stay in the Muri beach area. Thanks

A.L.F. Aug 27th, 2000 09:53 AM

Muri Beach is nice, but there are plenty of other nice beaches as well. I don't know where Palm Grove Lodges is, but I suspect that it is just north of Muri, which is nice also. There are lots of other places to stay as well, which are not accessible to most travel agents. There are several bungalows that I think are great, and more private. Aroko Bungalows, for example, is on the south end of Muri Lagoon, and will give you a private bungalow with kitchen for the price of a hotel room.

us tourist Sep 4th, 2000 07:54 AM

Hi Jackie, <BR>I just checked my map and palm grove is closer than you may think to muri beach. Muri beach is eight miles and starts at the palm grove and goes up northeast along the coast and ends at sokala villas. The bus service is also great to get around the island. Also, rent a bike for transportion.