Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Confused Englishman (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/confused-englishman-591895/)

surich Feb 17th, 2006 06:38 AM

Confused Englishman

Found people who use this site a great help in finding good accommodation in different parts of Australia which my wife and I are travelling for a long first trip to Oz. We have only Sydney left. Looked at lots of rants and raves about different hotels and apartments but still confused. We are after an apartment (preferred) or hotel which is central. 4 or 5 Star. Medina Grand was recommended but reviews were not of same opinion. Any help by anyone who has visited recently would be much appreciated.

Tassietwister Feb 17th, 2006 11:44 AM

Try Quay Grand Suites, has good reviews, good location but maybe expensive.

lizF Feb 17th, 2006 11:46 AM

Search for posts that Alan has written as he is one of the Sydney experts and has actually visited most of the places that he suggests.
Stay away from the big hotels if possible as you may just as well be anywhere in the world going to a Marriot, Sheraton or Hilton and they have absolutely no ambiance at all.
There are some really good apartments ( hotel ) near Hyde Park which is quite central and on many bus routes but they have changed their name which makes it hard to suggest them. Also do a search on www.wotif.com.au and see what is on offer there which will also give you an idea of what prices you can expect then we can track down which are the ones I am thinking of - also others may come to the rescue.
I also think there are some newish ones in Pyrmont which were recommended and that is a good spot as well. The best Apart Hotel is near Circular Quay with great views but it is expensive.

lizF Feb 17th, 2006 11:55 AM

I remember now the ones in Pyrmont are
Oaks Goldsborough Apartments which have been built in what was the old Woolstore. Have had some really great feedback on those.

oliverandharry Feb 18th, 2006 11:56 AM

surich,
I want to recommend to you the York Apartments which are on Jamieson Street, about a 10 minute walk from the Circular Quay. We walked easily to the Opera House and to the Rocks, and to the Bridge, and in the other direction, to the Aquarium, restaurants on Kings Wharf and the QVB shopping center. The York has studios, one and two bedroom apartments, mostly for business travelers, but they include W/D, full kitchens, balconies, and daily service. They were very nice in July 2004 and have been completely redone since then. This is not inexpensive lodging, but the staff is helpful at every turn and we found it the perfect place for staying 4-5 nights as we will again in late May. The link is: www.theyorkapartments.com.au. See if this will work for you!

surich Feb 19th, 2006 01:26 AM

Many thanks for all your help, when we get back we'll post a report on our trip which we are really looking forward to.

lancefan Feb 19th, 2006 05:04 PM

I can also recommend york apartments - location and price are both great. I've stayed there before and really enjoyed it - and the pool area is nice too!

Europewithkids Feb 19th, 2006 10:34 PM

I was in contact with them recently and the York will be undergoing renovations beginnig, I believe, in June. There may be some noise once this begins.