Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   China: how expensive? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/china-how-expensive-28828/)

curious Jul 16th, 1998 07:51 AM

China: how expensive?

Hello! I am considering a trip to Asia, and was wondering if anyone has been to China recently. <BR>Specifically, I am trying to find out how expensive <BR>rail travel in China is. For example, Beijing to Xi'an, or Shanghai to Guilin. Can anyone help? <BR>Thanks!

Jer Jensen Jul 16th, 1998 08:37 AM

My wife and I are going to China in October (peak season) for 17 days. We are hitting the highlights: Shanghi, Bejing, Xian, Guilin, and Hong Kong. <BR> <BR>We decided to go with an all inclusive tour staying in 4 and 5 star hotels. We're not expecting it to luxurous or exclusive, but we will get a chance to see and experence some of the highlights of China in a limited time. <BR> <BR>For everything (air fare, all transportation, hotels, admissions to sights, and meals) excluding tips, we are paying about $2,500 each. <BR> <BR>We booked it through a local Chineese travel agency after we had investigated many of the larger national tour companies. <BR>

randy Jul 17th, 1998 04:27 AM

I'm leaving for asia in two days and I found a great web page for China! Try <BR> <BR> http://www.datacomm.ch/pmgeiser/

riki Jul 17th, 1998 11:10 AM

traveling to beijing (only) in nov. for 6 nights (+ 2 days travel to china/1 day travel home), 4-5* hotel, transfers, bkft., great wall tour -- USD$729 on united airlines from NY - cheaper from west coast. the price is good nov. 16, 1998-march 31, 1999, off season rates. have been told the only thing inexpensive in china is food. there are prices for westerners and chinese to the same sights, and rip-offs all over -- so be very street wise. there is also a deal for s'hai, b'jing and x'ian for $1129 pp (double) from the same org. -- pacific bestours, inc. NY 800-868-8662 (also have LA office). happy traveling! <BR>d

riki Jul 17th, 1998 11:10 AM

traveling to beijing (only) in nov. for 6 nights (+ 2 days travel to china/1 day travel home), 4-5* hotel, transfers, bkft., great wall tour -- USD$729 on united airlines from NY - cheaper from west coast. the price is good nov. 16, 1998-march 31, 1999, off season rates. have been told the only thing inexpensive in china is food. there are prices for westerners and chinese to the same sights, and rip-offs all over -- so be very street wise. there is also a deal for s'hai, b'jing and x'ian for $1129 pp (double) from the same org. -- pacific bestours, inc. NY 800-868-8662 (also have LA office). happy traveling! <BR>d

KEYBILL Aug 27th, 1998 01:28 PM

TO JER JENSEN: I THINK YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF. I THINK YOU AND YOUR WIFE COULD BOTH GO FOR $2500. YOU CAN MAKE DEALS AT THE AIRPORT AND THE AIR FLIGHTS ARE EXTREMELY CHEAP. EX: SHANGAI/BEIJING COULD BE $75-85 IF YOU GET THE RIGHT DISCOUNTS. ANYWAY, I GUESS IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT AND YOU ARE CONTENT.

Kyle Aug 28th, 1998 07:51 AM

To Keybill: Your use of the phrase "rip off" is a bit harsh. Get a clue! Just because a flight from Shanghi to Bejing is $75 does not mean that $2500 for 17 days of everything is a rip off. I've travled in China 4 separate times and that price is definately a deal for a tour. Cosmos Travel (a forum favorite) www.globusandcosmos.com offers a simmilar tour for $3750. --My question to you is this: If you are such a shrewd dealmaker why don't you offer tours of China? If you do, sign me up!

tom Aug 28th, 1998 12:33 PM

kyle: I would have to agree with keybill that Jer is probably getting ripped off. Tours are very cheap. The fact that you can't spell Shangai makes me doubt you have been to china. You seem very hostile and not worth the time of day. You come across very petty and ignorant. See you in China, Tom.

Caren Aug 28th, 1998 02:12 PM

Tom: I would love to go to China for cheap. Please post what you are talking about. Or are you just conjecturing? <BR>

Alicia Aug 30th, 1998 07:26 PM

Hi curious, <BR> <BR>I have just returned from a trip to Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou and Nanjing. The first class rail fare from Shanghai to Nanjing is RMB86, from Hangzhou to Shanghai is RMB57. I hope this will give you an idea of the costs. Travelling in second class would be a lot cheaper, but I would not recommend it unless you are very hardy. The Lonely Planet Guide for China has a very good description about rail travel, I strongly advise you to read it. <BR> <BR>Travelling in China can be dirt cheap if you can stand it. It is possible to get rooms for RMB100 or cheaper. However conditions can be appalling. Taxi fare around the cities generally cost less than RMB15 per trip. If you take the bus, it will cost almost nothing. A good meal, say for three person in a good restaurant cost around RMB100. <BR> <BR>Alicia:) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Benny Aug 31st, 1998 07:08 AM

Hey Tom! Do you realize how funny it is that YOU spelled Shanghai wrong when you were telling someone else how to spell it. Get a life. Your quote to Kyle applies to you, "You come across very petty and ignorant." The reason I'm going to China is to escape nitpicking geeks like you. I hope don't see you in China. <BR>

riki Sep 1st, 1998 09:35 AM

Why do you people waste everyone's time telling eachother off on this board? This is supposed to me for serious travelers seeking useful info, which I feel you are not. My 7 yr. old grandson has better manners! <BR>

RCole Nov 6th, 1998 12:13 PM

I am arriving in shanghai (heck I'll admit I don't know how to spell) end of Nov and would like the absolute cheapest hotel anyone has actually been to and the price they paid. Would also like similar information on a place in Beijing. Although I appreciate all info terms like "expensive" and "inexpensive" are not as helpful as actual prices. am also intersted in floating the Yangzi (there's that spelling thing again) river from Chonguin to Wuhan (i've heard it ws the best part) but then hos does one get to Shanghai? and how long doe sit take to get to Shanghai from there? <BR>Thanks

curious Nov 10th, 1998 02:13 PM

thanks, Alicia, for the specific rail examples and Randy for the webpage. <BR> <BR>-curious

Nigel Doran Nov 16th, 1998 12:24 PM

Hello <BR> <BR>I used to live in China ten years ago, but have been back more recently, most recently in March this year when I picked up a bargain 5 night deal to Hong Kong. <BR>As to whether $2500 is expensive or not, all I can say is that China can be VERY frustrating and paying for almost everything up front is a good idea, at least for the first visit. 17 days is a good length of time for the number of places the Jensens are visiting. <BR>The main thing is that you enjoy China whichever way you travel. It will be a real eye-opener for you, and I am sure you will enjoy it immensely. <BR>Things change very quickly there, so the best way to gen up is to look at the Lonely Planet or Rough Guide books on China. They can tell you all about the historical and social context, as well as point you in the right direction as regards entertainment and nights out etc. <BR>A good idea is to get your guide or the hotel concierge to write your address down in Chinese, or to do likewise when you venture out to see a particular sight. <BR>If buying long-distance trains, go for hard sleeper if possible, as this is cheaper than soft sleeper. Try to book ahead as much as possible, but the books I just mentioned can expand on this. <BR>Eating in the noodle stalls or self-serve food halls will make your trip cheaper and more authentic. Beer is cheap and generally good too.