Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Cheap flights within Australia for March - book now or wait? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/cheap-flights-within-australia-for-march-book-now-or-wait-666847/)

Elizabeth_S Dec 29th, 2006 10:16 AM

Cheap flights within Australia for March - book now or wait?

We have several air movements in March, 2007 as follows - and I've included the current cheapest flight I can find right now

Melbourne - Adelaide - Qantas $89/each
Melbourne - Hobart - Virgin $99/each
Hobart - Sydney - Virgin $79/each
Sydney - Cairns - Virgin $125/each
Cairns - Sydney - Virgin $159/each

Those fares are quite good (I think?) although any changes are quite expensive (about $70 and the flight might be more expensive)....my questions are:

1) are those good fares?
2) might they get better closer to the time?
3) might they get worse closer to the time?

My preference is to keep things a little loose at this point as we've got quite a bit of travel planned before we arrive in Australia in March, but if those are good fares and we might have trouble getting something closer to the time I will lock them in now.

Any comments are much appreciated.

ZfromWinnipeg Dec 29th, 2006 06:43 PM

The rates look very good, book them while they last. I have booked all my flight for Feb-March early in December.

judilie Dec 29th, 2006 06:59 PM

Are these prices in Australian dollars? If so, they do seem very good indeed.

lizF Dec 29th, 2006 09:52 PM

check first that jetstar's are not better - the flight Melbourne - Hobart is more than Hobart - Sydney and the distance to Sydney is double that of Melbourne. Otherwise they are at good prices.

hellyes74 Dec 30th, 2006 11:06 AM

Z from Winnipeg. Where are you going in Australia. I am also from Winnipeg, travelling to australia (South Australia to be specific) for February 2007.
thanks,
shelley

ZfromWinnipeg Dec 30th, 2006 01:09 PM

First I am going to New Zealand for 3 weeks and doing the North island. I am flying to Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne and doing a driving trip of 10 to 14 days in each. You can get more details by clicking on my screen name and read all of my posts.

Z

oliverandharry Dec 30th, 2006 03:10 PM

Elizabeth,
I would not wait to book these fares. Last Decmber 31 I booked all my intracountry fares as the sales expired at midnight on Virgin - and this was for July. I can tell you they went up dramatically after that. I think I spent $69 Hobart-Sydney, and we took the earlier flight which does not require the stop in Melbourne.

Elizabeth_S Dec 30th, 2006 05:10 PM

Thanks to all for the comments - I'm booking tomorrow!

Elizabeth_S Dec 31st, 2006 08:49 AM

Just booked the following

Melbourne to Adelaide Qantas $89
Melbourne to Hobart Virgin $99
Hobart to Sydney Virgin $79

All funds are AUD.

Waiting to book Sydney to Cairns and return - have a few questions outstanding for the Spirit of Freedom liveaboard people.

oliverandharry - thanks for mentioning the Virgin timing - the fares expire on January 4th this year so I went ahead and did it today!

This is one of the few times things have cost less during my trip planning - my OZ airfare budget was twice what it's turned out to cost........if only that offset the things that are more expensive!

Thanks to all for your comments.

lizF Dec 31st, 2006 10:30 AM

Don't wait to hear from the people in Cairns - there is always something else you can do anyway which would be just as good - those fares are great seeing that that Sydney to Cairns is a 3 hour + flight.