cellphone rentals in NZ??

Apr 16th, 2001, 11:58 AM
anna

cellphone rentals in NZ??

we are going to spend 15 days driving in the south island, and my boyfriend is a bit worried about having an accident or if the car breaks down in a deserted area - we have been searching for info about cellphone rental but haven't found anything ....

any advice on this would be appreciated

thank you
-anna

Apr 16th, 2001, 06:56 PM
nzers

NZ only has two cellphone networks - Vodaphone (digital) & Telecom.
I believe Vodaphone do provide rentals, but if you bring your own digital phone with you, you may be able to purchase a sim card here (unless you are from the US).
Alternatively, you are able to purchase a cellphone here for about NZ$100 which includes 100 hours free airtime with no contracts etc. This is available from THE WAREHOUSE stores which are in every major/medium town (several in CHCH).
You should be aware tho', that if you do breakdown somewhere remote & deserted in the South Island, your cellphone will be useless - their coverage is hopeless. Basically the whole of the West Coast is uncovered as are most of the central mountain regions for obvious reasons.
I wouldn't worry if I were you - we're a helpful bunch and the roads aren't deserted - someone will come to your rescue.
Have a nice holiday!

Apr 19th, 2001, 09:20 PM
holly

Hi Anna,
I agree with nzers,the roads are well used and if something happens along the way it won't be long before people stop to help out, it's how we do things here.
Just enjoy yourself and "don't worry about it" and as we say over here, "she'll be right"

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:27 PM
andrew

All airports have cellphone rental counters, and all large car renters can rent you a cellphone also. If you have a GSM phone now - just bring it with you (after enabling global roaming with your local provider).

Search this Thread