Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Can we drink tap water and eat all food, such as salads and fruit in Cook Islands and N.Z.

Can we drink tap water and eat all food, such as salads and fruit in Cook Islands and N.Z.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:45 AM
A. Benson

Just wondering if anyone has had any intestinal problems in either of these 2 places. We had enough problems in Mexico and Nassau that we don't want to go through it again (although it was years ago we were in those places). We know Hawaii is just fine, and expect N.Z. is, but not sure about Cook Islands (Rarotonga). Thank you

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:55 AM
LordBalfor

We arranged for bottled water to be delivered to the houses we rented on Rarotonga, but did not worry about fruit, salads or ice in restaurant drinks. We were fine (and my wife has a very tender stomach). As a general rule, Rarotonga is very clean and modern, so you need not be too timid - though if you do rent a house I will recommend drinking bottled water.

Ken

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Debi

We just got back New Zealand (don't know anything about Cook Islands) - and had absolutely no problems with drinking the water - I drank it everywhere. I have had those issues in Mexico (you don't ever forget that....) - but I had no ill effects from the water in NZ......

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:50 AM
mary

Can you drink water in Canada now? PLeeeeeeese give us a break, the health regulations in NZ, Cook Islands and Australia, and for that matter most of the South Pacific are second to none and if you think you are going to get Mexico style living in NZ you are in for a great shock.
Before asking stupid questions try doing some research first and don't insult people.
Lord Balfour is quite wrong in saying that you should get bottled water if you rent a house. There has been studies in bottled water, including all the International ones and most drinking water out of taps have far less "bugs" in them than the so-called safe bottled stuff.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Graeme

I am a New Zealander going to the US in April.I think I have more to fear than you will have in the Cooks and NZ.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:53 PM
LordBalfor

Sorry Mary, but the owner of the house himself recommended that we drink bottled water. He said it was fine for him (and would have been fine for us after a period of adjustment) but that for a short stay we should order water to be delivered.

I wasn't about to argue with the owner of the house.

Ken

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:11 PM
americana

I disagree with Mary-your question is not at all stupid or insulting. People often experience problems with drinking the water in foreign countries,and not just Mexico or so-called "developing countries". It's not that the water is necessarily unhygienic or unsafe, but it may contain ordinarily benign organisms to which you, unlike the locals, have no previous exposure. It may therefore cause intestinal problems. The likelihood is much greater in some countries than others, but can happen anywhere, even in different parts of one's own country. Same with raw fruits and vegetables.

Although it is unlikely you will have problems in NZ or the Cook Islands, if you have apprehensions, err on the side of caution and buy bottled water, don't eat raw vegetables,and only eat fruit that has an outer layer you can peel (bananas, oranges, etc).

This is my rule of thumb, and even though I have traveled extensively on six of the seven continents, I have only had one bout with traveler's diarrhea--after unthinkingly eating a tossed salad in Eastern Europe. (And Graeme, the New Zealander coming to the US in April,if I were you, I would drink bottled water while visiting here).

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:19 AM
A. Benson

Thank you all so much for your input (except for Mary's mean-spirited comments).

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:18 PM
vicki

This is NOT a stupid question at all -
this is what this forum if here for!!!

To ask "silly" questions, and get advice and recommendations, also people's personal experiences.

Mary, go away - take your mean-spirit somewhere else.

G-d forbid someone asks a basic question - why should someone have to do lots of research on the web?

Again, that is why this forum is here!!!! For any questions related to travel!!!!

My personal experience in Moorea - I drank the tap water and was fine, but had SIX LOCALS tell me there are major problems with the water, and they would never give it to their kids. Go figure.

Never assume anything - Mary, didn't anyone ever tell you that there are no stupid questions???

A. Benson - I hope you have a WONDERFUL trip!!! Best Regards!!!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:06 AM
A. Benson

Vicki, thank you for your best wishes. My husband and I are really looking forward to the trip and have found this forum to be a lot of help. Take care.
A. Benson

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we were in the Cook Islands we boiled our water for the 5 minutes that we were told. Yes we could have probably drank from the tap but why put you trip on hold because your tummy is upset. Error on the side of caution and enjoy a truly beautiful spot. One of the most beautiful spots on earth I believe. Wendy
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:23 AM

Mary stop sucking lemons & find something sweeter! Mean spirited as mentioned in previous postings is definitely the appropriate description.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:08 PM
DE

Hi A. Benson,

It might be a good idea just to stick with bottled water throughout your travels to avoid any possibility of picking up something. I do it as a matter of course wherever I travel just to be on the cautious side. Have been to NZ a few years ago and really enjoyed the trip. It's a lovely destination. Tavelled throughout both islands extensively with lots to see. I'm sure you will have a good trip.

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 01:11 AM

Hi there
I would be a little cautious in the islands but as for NZ, you will have no problem also with fruit and veges, no problems there either.
I just had three months in eight countries in Europe and I was careful in some and not in others and never had a hint of a stomach ache, it pays to be aware and I don't blame you for asking.
Have a neat time.