Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Can't find a place to stay in Queenstown over New Years!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our family of four (kids are 17 & 20) is having a hard time finding a place to stay over New Years Eve. It seems that places I have contaced all want a required 5 night stay. Any suggestions wouls be most helpful. I have already tried Villa Del Lago, Heritage Hotel and a few others mrntioned on this site. Many thanks!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 05:46 PM

We had some trouble finding accomodations earlier this year and one of reservation staff at the Heritage suggested that I call Queenstown Reservations - 011 64 (3)442-6340. I called and was able to reserve a room at a lower rate than I had been quoted earlier by the hotel directly. They required a credit card number and billed for the first night at the time of our reservation but I believe they had a 72 hour cancellation policy for a refund. The hotel was great and there were no snags. Queenstown reservations had multiple listings and are also able to help with car rentals, etc. Good luck!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:34 PM

Don't even consider going there at New Year without a reservation.

Some years ago, now, I cruised in, expecting no problem, and ended up driving for 13 hours looking for a place to sleep for the night! Apparently the whole of NZ goes to Queenstown at this time of year.

It got so bad I had just about decided to kick a cop and spend the night in the nick! Luckily for the cops of Ranfurley (or similar), a very poxy pub there had a vacant room!

Big lesson learned!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:06 PM

We had a similar problem on our last visit to New Zealand. We drove to Cromwell - a small town about 15 minutes drive away - and found accommodation there. We ended up staying in Cromwell on two occasions, once at the hotel and the second time at the motel - both were good.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 11:45 PM

Try www.ki-wi.co.nz
They have lots of accomodation choices, I would be surprised if they are not able to help you.
If not look to Arrowtown which is only a short drive from Queenstown.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:48 AM
LN

We stayed at Hurleys which is next door to the Millenium and is a really nice place. they have suites, plus 1 and two bedroom apartments.

They have an internet site - the place is spotless and looks out at the Remarkables. Check on Google
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:36 PM

The Quality Terraces in Queenstown were nice. I believe I emailed them directly for a price when I went last year. I'm not sure about New Years though. I just know it was a good deal and a great hotel.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:08 PM

We stayed at a Best Western in Queenstown a couple of years ago. It was very nice, with view of mountains. I believe there are 2 Best Westerns. This was a large condo, with 2 bedrooms and laundry facilities.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 12:06 PM

I was able to book a single night for midDecember at the Parkroyal in Queenstown. Can't tell you how it is but it was recommended to us by Ultimate hikes where we booked for the Milford Track.