Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Can I get around Australia without renting a car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/can-i-get-around-australia-without-renting-a-car-599264/)

swiggle75 Mar 14th, 2006 06:39 PM

Can I get around Australia without renting a car?

We are going to OZ for 9 days at the end of April, 3 nights in Sydney and 6 nights in Port Douglas. My question is, do we have to rent a car to get around to all the site? Is there adequate public transportation within Sydney? or can we book with tours and have them pick us up? How about PD? If we also wanted to see the rain forest, do we have to drive ourselves there?

Neil_Oz Mar 14th, 2006 09:33 PM

You should have no problem being picked up from hotels in the area for any tour you choose. I assume there's a public bus service if you wanted to go in to Cairns, but I'll that to the experts.

Sydney has a more than adequate public transport system - trains, buses and ferries will get you wherever you want to go. The ferries in particular provide a bargain harbour cruise experience.

wally34949 Mar 15th, 2006 02:46 AM

You don't want a car in Sydney. No where to park it. I rented a car in Cairns several years ago and the next day I noticed a bus went right where I wanted to go.

midwestcoup Mar 15th, 2006 10:07 AM

We were in Oz in November-- 4 nights each in PD and Sydney. Didn't have a car in either place, and were glad we didn't.

You can get a shuttle from the Cairns airport to PD. Once in PD, virtually everything is walkable, depending on where you're staying. And there are plenty of tour operators who will take you to the rainforest.

Sydney has good public transport. No need for a car.

swiggle75 Mar 15th, 2006 01:39 PM

That is fantastic news!! can you tell me more about the public transportation within Sydney? is it all buses?

I'll be staying at the Sheraton at the Park in sydney and Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas.

Can you tell me if the Sheraton in Sydney is a good location for various attactions?

pat_woolford Mar 15th, 2006 02:23 PM

Swiggle, Sydney has buses, harbour ferries and trains in abundance.

You certainly won't need to drive to Daintree Rainforest yourself, in fact you really need a knowledgeable guide to get the best out of area. Pete Baxendell of Heritage and Interpretive Tours will pick you up at your accommodation in PD - he's well recommended, and deservedly so, on this forum.

As you'll have 6 days in Port Douglas you may find you need a car for a few of the days, perhaps for a day trip to Atherton Tableland, or just to do some exploring on your own. If so, you can rent one in Port Douglas.

tampatramp Mar 15th, 2006 03:01 PM

swiggle75: besides the busses, trains, subways, ferries and of course taxis, there is one tram and also a monorail that is accessable by covered access from the Sheraton on the Park. We stayed at the Park Sheraton in 2002 for 10/11 days: great hotel, good location, easy to get around, and great food- especially the buffet breakkie! You will have no problem getting around Sydney and outside tourist sites. Tours (like AAT Kings) will pick you up at the hotel to places like Blue mtns. & Jenolyn caves or Hunter valley (wine country). ps I'm going back Apr. 21/22.

swiggle75 Mar 16th, 2006 08:31 AM

Thanks for all the information on the tours! Neil, we'll be there at the same time!