Can anyone rec. a store to buy opals

Jul 30th, 2000, 03:34 PM
Elsa

Can anyone rec. a store to buy opals

We will be going to AU in Oct. and traveling all around the country. I was wondering if anyone could rec. a store where you would get honest info on quality, price, etc. when purchasing an opal. Do you have to "bargain" when buying a piece of jewelry?

Thanks in advance.

Elsa

Jul 31st, 2000, 03:14 AM
PaulS

Elsa,

I wont recommend a store but if you would like to deal direct with the miner who I know and is extremely honest then let me know. He has sold direct to Americans here in Alice Springs at very very good prices. I would be extremely surprised if you could buy better or same for less anywhere else.

I wont give names on public bulletin boards like this so if you want to know more about this please contact me via e-mail at:
[email protected]

Hope this helps.

Jul 31st, 2000, 03:57 AM
Dick

Elsa,

A big factor will be price range. At first. we avoided the small "cheaper looking" stores and looked in the better stores to get an idea of quality and price.

We saw some FABULOUS opals in one store...,.,some of them at prices WAY beyond our budget (one store said the price was 35 and he meant thousand not hundred)..but you will get an education about the difference in opals( black, boulder, etc)

You may not have to bargain...but we did detect a willingness to negotioate if we found a specific stone we liked.

Not sure if this is true, but one of the better jewelers told us that if we brought an unset stone( and had it set at home) back to the states, we would save a lot in customes.

Search this Thread