Campervan rentals

Apr 14th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Wendy

Campervan rentals

I would love to hear from people you have rented small campervans in New Zealand. What companies did you use and what was the time of year. We do want warm weather and at least basic comfort. Please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks

Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:08 PM
ALF

We drove a small campervan around NZ for 4 months, 2 yrs ago. There are several companies, the largest being Maui and Britz NZ. There are several others as well, but we liked a smallish company called Suntrek, with offices in Auckland and Christchurch. We ended up purchasing a campervan instead of renting, because of the length of our trip. We ended up losing more money on the sale of our van though than the cost of the rental (not to mention the wasted 10 days spent shopping, buying, and selling). Anyway, it depends on the number of people in your party. My wife and I brought two small kids (age 7 and 9). We bought a Toyota Hi-Ace van, a popular mid-size van in NZ. It was well-laid out inside, with a high top that allowed a bunk above the fold-out bed. We drove aound the North Island between December and January, and the South Island between February and March. There were only a few days in late March at higher altitudes when we felt too cold. The Holiday Parks that dot NZ from end to end are great for campervans - most have electrical hookups, ablution blocks (restrooms/showers), and communal kitchens (so you don't have to cook cooped up in your van). Also, we occasionally stayed at B&Bs, many of which welcome campervans. This is an ideal way to see the country, and you will enjoy yourselves immensely. Please feel free to email with any specific questions. And, here are some photos!
http://www.justlikebeingthere.com/with/afriedma/in/new zealand

Search this Thread