Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   CAMPER VAN - RENT OR BUY in New Zealand (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/camper-van-rent-or-buy-in-new-zealand-1144543/)

lrogers10 Nov 2nd, 2016 12:50 PM

CAMPER VAN - RENT OR BUY in New Zealand

We are going to New Zealand the end of January for 1 month.

We want to travel exclusively by camper van. The rental rate adds up to the price of a good, used van.

Are there places close to the airport in Aukland that we could purchase a van - travel for a month - sell it back. I have heard remotely of this possibility and wanted to see if it was an option. Names of dealers would be appreciated.

We may also choose to store the van until May 2017 when our daughter is going there for a month.

Thoughts?

Thank-you in advance for your feedback.

tasmangirl Nov 2nd, 2016 09:56 PM

Have a look at Trademe for some prices to buy campers (NZ version of Ebay).
I get that they are expensive to hire but with buying one is another whole different thing.
Are you mechanical enough to suss out if any problems in the motor/tyres/brakes or functional parts like the stove/toilet/shower etc. Any major problems you are stuck with repairs and paying out more money.
Can you sell it easily after the holiday? Any dealer that would buy it back off you would surely inflate the price so they make money.
What about insurance? Garaging/storage until your daughter can use it?
Have a look at Mighway - an private rental agency which people hire out their vans to others.
Honestly I would just pay to rent a camper.

crellston Nov 3rd, 2016 05:00 AM

We have rented campervans for two, two month trips in past years and are currently considering a third trip next year. I did look at buying but decided against it, mainly for the reasons outlined by tasmangirl above.

"The rental rate adds up to the price of a good, used van." We are looking at 3.5-4K NZD per month for a two person van with Maui or Wilderness. I may be wrong i couldn't find a decent quality van for that sort of cash. Of course it is the difference between the buying and selling prices which is likely to be the biggest cost.

Both times we rented for reputable companies, one was Maui, the other I can't recall. In both cases we experienced several problems which resulted in us having to take the vans into garages to egg faults fixed. I am glad I didn't have to meet the cost! Also, it was easy to sort out, I just called the rental company and they organised everything. On my own I would have had to find a garage, arrange to take it in, negotiate prices etc. all of which would cost both money and time.

lrogers10 Nov 4th, 2016 05:47 AM

Thank-you for your feedback! I am one of those people that is just more comfortable having everything booked and a stress free holiday. You have solidified our decision to rent. I contacted a rental place and asked them to "sharpen their pencil" and they came back at a more reasonable rate. I am trying to get them to include a BBQ and then we will book it! Nomad Campervan - good reviews on-line and the customer service guy has been great! In the meantime, I will check out Mighway - thanks!

deSchenke Nov 5th, 2016 04:06 PM

If you store the van until May and your daughter uses it, what then? There won't be much of a market for a campvan at the beginning of winter and you may be in for a huge loss.