Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Cairns skyrail and Kuranda (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/cairns-skyrail-and-kuranda-605908/)

Geckolips Apr 7th, 2006 09:26 AM

Cairns skyrail and Kuranda

Is the Cairns skyrail and Kuranda Market worth the time or is is just a tourist trap? We have 1 1/2 days in Cairns and not going out to the Great Barrier Reef (terrible seasickness problem and pregnant lady) so we are looking at other adventures. What is your opinion? PS - please don't get started with the seasick remedies - I have tried every one - , wrist straps, used ginger and Bonine and still filled 3 bags flying over Mt.McKinley, had terrible 9 hour fjord cruise, etc. Just please tell me about all the wonderful land experiences. ;o) Thanks.

pat_woolford Apr 7th, 2006 04:26 PM

Its the views from Skyrail(7km over rainforest canopy) and the historic scenic train that are more the attraction than Kuranda Village. Skyrail and train traverse different sides of the range, so you don't go over the same areas twice. Tjakupai Aboriginal Culture Park can be included in this trip - its next door to the Skyrail station at Caravonica (Cairns' suburb) end. Tjakupai is certainly touristy but does give some idea of local Aboriginal culture and is quite interesting and entertaining.

Butterfly Sanctuary at Kuranda is worth a visit, there's a small native animal park with koalas available for photo ops, and Birdworld is a rather nice walk-through aviary with both native and exotic birds.

For a less touristy look at this area and beyond see www.wildernessecosafaris.com Steve is a knowledgeable local who takes small groups in 4WD off the beaten tourist track in both rainforest and bush areas. He has restricted access permits to areas where others can't visit and picks up in Cairns.

Percy Apr 7th, 2006 09:11 PM

Just got back lastweek and yes I would for sure do the Kuranda Train Ride.

You will see lovely scenery, gushing waterfalls and the lovely Baron Falls as the train rounds a curve.

The train goes through about 14 tunnels.

Once at the village you can do the Army Duck ride into the rain forest (I did),you can take in a live Aborigine Show and have your picture taken with the Aborigines.
then
You can see all the Kangaroos wombats Wallabies and Koala Bears.

It is here that you pay $15.00 Australian and get to actually hold a Koala Bear and have you picture taken as he snuggles in your arms...don't miss this.
This train ride is smooth and no nasuea problem here.

Percy

Suelynne Apr 8th, 2006 01:09 AM

You can go up on the train and back on the Skyrail, and both are worthwhile. I agree that it's these trips [with stops] and not Kuranda itself which are the attractions. Also, Tjapukai, which is at the bottom of the Skyrail.

yesiree100 Apr 8th, 2006 06:11 PM

This would be my list:
- The skyrail/train to Kuranda (I agree that the markets & the town itself is not the draw)
- Tjapukai
- The bat sanctuary in Kuranda
- Driving to Kuranda is also very interesting...however, if you're also proned to car sickness, the curvey mountain road would not be right for you.
- Athernon Tablelands
- Daintree Rainforest
- Palm Cove for a semi-resort atmosphere

Geckolips Apr 10th, 2006 08:33 AM

Thanks to you all. It is on my list!