switching cars traveling between islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling from the South Island to the North Island. Some rental car companies require you to drop off a car in Picton and pick up another one in Wellington. Typically, how much time is lost picking up a new car? Will the rental company pick you up at the dock in Wellington and take you to the rental place? How difficult is it to get from the rental car company to the ferry in Picton? Any other hitches that people have encountered would be appreciated as well. Although it may cost some time, you do say a fair amount not transporting the car on the ferry.

Thank you,
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not familiar with the set up in Wellington, but in Picton, it's a short walk between the rental car companies and the ferry. We've dropped off our car in Picton before taking a water taxi into the Marlborough Sounds, and everything is very close together. We had luggage, so we dropped off the luggage first, then dropped of the car and walked back. Not a problem.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:36 PM
DJE

It has been a few years, but as I recall it was not a problem at all exchanging rental cars at the ferry terminals. We did this twice between the two islands and it was easy and not very time consuming. The rental outfits were in very close proximity to the terminal. Unless things have changed I don't think you will have any difficulties.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 02:50 PM

The rentalcompanies have this down to a fine art, and treat it as one rental. The ferry is very expensive if you take a car, so the money saving by swapping is significant. You probably lose as much or more time associated with the car line up prior to departure and ferry-off at the other end than dropping off and picking up the cars.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Your answers were very informative.

Dennis