Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Cairns area or Whitsundays early march? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/cairns-area-or-whitsundays-early-march-485902/)

chobby100 Nov 13th, 2004 02:02 PM

Cairns area or Whitsundays early march?

We are going to Queensland for 5 days at the very beginning of march (after sydney and melbourne) and need to decide btwn the areas. I have been to cairns but my GF has not. We were thinking a 3 day 2 night sailing cruise if whitsundays. If Cairns probably palm cove or Pt Douglas area as jump off. The reef is a definite must. We do love to swim (are their "safe" (netted) areas on the beachs at or near Airlie or palm cove or pt douglas?). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance (we are around 30 if that helps)

AndrewDavid Nov 13th, 2004 04:22 PM

chobby,

We spent 3 glorious days and nights sailing out of Airlie Beach on the restored 102 year old tall ship, Solway Lass.

On the other hand we used the wonderful Lilybank B&B in Cairns for 3 nights as a base to explore the north.
You can't really loose down under

AndrewDavid

chobby100 Nov 13th, 2004 04:42 PM

I don't really have a problem with seasickness, but my better half has a bit of a queasy stomach. Is this an issue? We do sail (day sails for a hour or two - usually no longer and we have never overnighted)

any thoughts?

thanks!

AndrewDavid Nov 13th, 2004 08:03 PM

Chobby, I don't recall anyone being seasick when we were ouy in April. Most of the folks on the boat were young europeans or aussies. We were odd fellows out but had a great time meeting everyone. I just couldn't do much w/ song titled for charades!

AndrewDavid

pat_woolford Nov 13th, 2004 10:41 PM

chobby - stinger nets on the beaches you mention are in place in March (unless there's bad weather or cyclone when they're removed to save damage). But the netted areas really only cover very a small area for swimming. Good for kids. They are designed to keep box jelly fish out, not the much smaller irukandji, which up until fairly recently wasn't considered particularly dangerous. Many beaches are patrolled every day and closed if there is a danger of jelly fish or crocodiles, I would not swim at an unpatrolled beach at this time. There's a large stinger (and croc) proof swimming lagoon in Cairns and I believe Port Douglas is building one. The danger is mainly coastal but stinger suits will be provided on reef trips if the crew think its necessary.

chobby100 Nov 17th, 2004 08:47 AM

thanks for the replies so far!

But I'm still not sure of my original Q.

Palm coast / Port douglas or airlie beach (as jump off for 2 or 3 night sailing adventure)?

I have been to Cairns, but it is my SO's first time to australia.

thanks

chobby100 Nov 18th, 2004 05:51 AM

why isn't this board updating?

Judy_in_Calgary Nov 18th, 2004 07:26 AM

Chobby, your questions are so difficult -- I would say impossible -- to answer. Only you and your SO can really decide.

My husband and I went to Port Douglas in July and did a cruise in the Whitsundays in PERFECT weather in September. We loved both experiences.

You're asking about March, a time when I have not been to Queensland. You're saying you have been to Cairns, but your SO hasn't. You're saying your SO has a tendency to get seasick.

These are all complicating factors.

We loved our cruise in the Whitsundays, but neither of us was seasick. I can't imagine it's at all pleasant being seasick. If one has that tendency, I don't think a cruise sounds like that great an idea.

The Whitsundays are absolutely magical but, if a person could visit only one place, Far North Queensland or the Whitsundays, my vote goes to FNQ. It's too bad you've been to FNQ and your SO hasn't. On the other hand, there must be fates worse than returning to FNQ for a second time. :)

lizF Nov 18th, 2004 11:20 AM

For sailing or boating then the answer is the Whitsundays as I think they are the most beautiful tropical collection of islands in the world.
If you want to do other things, other than reef and sailing then FNQ.
On the question of sea-sickness ( I get sea-sick in the bathtub and managed to make it 100% ss on every boat last year out of Port Douglas because I forgot my Kwells) Kwells can be obtained for about $8Au at any Chemist and work very well - it just that I forget to take them with me. Sailing around the Whitsundays would be like sailing on a lake really unless there was a storm about.

chobby100 Nov 18th, 2004 11:22 AM

thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I guess it really boils down to, if you were only going to one place in QLD -

would it be the cairns area or the whitsundays?