Penguins in Bicheno or Phillip Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to spend one night either in Bicheno or Coles Bay. We could go to see the penguins since we will be in the area. We also plan to drive the GOR and also can make a side trip to Phillip Island. Given a choice, which one would you go?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 09:22 AM

I can't address Coles Bay or Bicheno--because I'm planning my first trip there (late November) But ... a couple of years ago, from Melbourne, I did an all-day bus tour that included a wonderful koala sanctuary, some stunning scenery--and the "penguin parade."

Despite a friend saying it wasn't necessary to pay for the "premium" seating at the penguin parade, we figured it was once in a lifetime--so we paid the little bit extra. What a great decision.

It was INCREDIBLE beyond my wildest expectations. We were close enough to touch 1,000 or more penguins as they waddled by us--occasionally stopping to noisily celebrate mating season! The parade of penguins went on and on and on ... and was a highlight of a trip that included some amazing highlights. I don't know if there's anything equivalent in Coles Bay/Bicheno--but if there is, I haven't seen it advertised.

I'll also say that we loved driving the GOR. Another highlight was driving the road to the Otway Lighthouse. The trees along that road were teeming with koalas, and I got amazing photos.

We continued on to the Grampians--which we also loved--before heading back to Melbourne.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 08:25 PM

I have been to both and enjoyed both. There are fewer penguins at Bicheno although plenty but likewise there are fewer tourists .