Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Bures at Castaway Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/bures-at-castaway-island-584229/)

IPMsMom Jan 23rd, 2006 05:55 AM

Bures at Castaway Island

As we are traveling with 3 children, my husband and I must reserve two bures at Castaway. This elevates the cost considerably, doubles it actually, as they do not offer the second accommodation for kids at half price. To save some money we think we need to consider the island bures rather than beach front or water view which would be our choice.
Those who have stayed at Castaway, what are your thoughts, concerns, opinions about these bures back from the beach? I hear many are very close together and somewhat crowded. Are they the same size as the beachfront? Are they arranged the same inside? How about breezes or lack there of? Do you think it's worth the money we save ($200-$300 US per night) to go with these bures? We will plan to stay 10 days and follow it with a 7 day Blue Lagoon Cruise. So, we are looking to save where we can....but not if it diminishes our experience.

wilees Jan 23rd, 2006 07:27 AM

We stayed on a Island Bure with Mum, Dad and three kids in the same one. Parents had a seperate room and we were all in the living area.

My little sister (5 at the time) was on a roll away.

However, I don't know whether they just did that for us as my Dad was doing some work for them so accommodation was free!

This was about 10 years ago so may be completely different now.

IPMsMom Jan 23rd, 2006 07:48 AM

Well, that's interesting news. a travel agent who handles Fiji trips and Castaway themselves by e-mail, both said they are strict on their "only four per bure" rule. I do wonder if we'd be cramped all in one anyway as my kids are BIG (boys 16 and 13, and a 10 year old girl). But two bures seems like a huge investment. How did the island bures compare to the beach front? How close are they together and how far are they from the beach?

wilees Jan 23rd, 2006 10:00 AM

They were fine. Each was seperated from each other by gardens etc. A beach front bure would be very nice and I remember wishing we had one xos they had a hammock ( I was a child). We were at one of the very back bures and it was only a few minutes walk down the lovely paths to the pool and beach and very close to other facilities.

IPMsMom Jan 23rd, 2006 02:01 PM

A hammock is awfully nice!

Lyndie Jan 23rd, 2006 06:12 PM

A very good alternative to Castaway, although not as luxurious, is Octopus Resort in the Southern Yasawa islands of Fiji. The resort is lovely and has recently added a pool & new dining room. Check out www.octopusresort.com for rates.

Lyndie Jan 23rd, 2006 06:18 PM

Just checked their website & they have a new family cottage called Poppy's which was not there in May 2003. It looks divine! The beach is very good at Octopus & the staff were lovely too. They cooked us a special birthday dinner & served it be candlelight on the beach! Good luck!