Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Brisbane weather (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/brisbane-weather-1689200/)

jacketwatch Sep 5th, 2020 11:28 AM

Brisbane weather

One of these days when all the covid situation settles down we would like to go to Brisbane from Chicago where we live to see our niece and her family again. We were there in December 2017 which is their summer and the weather was pretty good but did we just get luck as I heard it can be scorching in the summer.

How are other seasons like say their spring of fall? We are not fans of hot weather but being from Chicago we can handle cooler temps.

Thank you.

Bokhara2 Sep 5th, 2020 06:40 PM

Australia's official weather forecasts & weather radar - Bureau of Meteorology is your best source of info.

Other than that, I would think you’d find Autumn & Winter in Brisbane pretty mild by Chicago standards.

It does get colder in the hinterland & higher regions ... down to zero & a bit below in places like Stanthorpe on Winter mornings at times. ( We use Celsius here).

It can be windy in August & September & as you know, that shifts the temperature down a notch or three.

It’s a great area with lots to see & do in a reasonably small area. As with everywhere interesting, the more time you have, the better.

I hope you get your trip & by all means, let us know if it’s looking good & we can help you with some hints, tips & suggestions.

KayF Sep 5th, 2020 09:46 PM

We've lived in Brisbane for the past five years or so and have found most locals hate the summer. It can get very humid but the actual temperatures are pretty stable. You'd need to convert these temperatures I think, as mentioned above, we use celsius, but in summer the maximum is around 32 celsius every day and it can get hotter. The difference here, compared to the southern states, is that we have a tropical heat with high humidity but in somewhere like Melbourne, the temperatures get a lot hotter (like 40-42 celsius) but it's a dry heat. In summer in Brisbane the nights are never cold, it wouldn't drop below about 20 celsius.

In winter here the daily maximum is around 20-25 celsius, most days the sun shines and we have blue skies. It's often perfect, we love living here. If we have storms, they are often short with torrential rain and are in the summer time.

In my experience, February is the hottest month and December is the coolest month of summer. Most cafes and restaurants are either fully outdoors or partly outdoors so don't expect airconditioning when you go out to eat. It's very much an outdoors lifestyle.

Hope that helps a bit, as mentioned by Bokhara, happy to help with further questions.

jacketwatch Sep 6th, 2020 12:48 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Winter it is! 20-25 C is just fine.

It may be a while but I will start a new thread when the times comes. Our nieces daughter is 5 now and I doubt she remembers us from out last visit so we would like to wait until she is a bit older this time.

Cheers, Larry