Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Brisbane to Noosa via Bus: How much and where can we stow luggage in Brissy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/brisbane-to-noosa-via-bus-how-much-and-where-can-we-stow-luggage-in-brissy-364130/)

fripp Oct 7th, 2003 10:39 AM

Brisbane to Noosa via Bus: How much and where can we stow luggage in Brissy?

Hi everyone,
We are flying into Brisbane from Sydney and wish to get a Bus from Brisbane to Noosa. We want to do a few hours in Brisbane (primarily at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary). I have 3 Questions I hope you folks can help with:

1) After we arrive Brisbane airport, where can we stow our luggage while we tour Brisbane? We are planning to tour Brisbane until the late afternoon and then head up to Noosa Heads via Bus.

2) How long of a ride is it from Brissy to Noosa?

3) How much will the bus fare be?

3) Can any one recommend a bus company for transit from Brissy to Noosa (We are checking into Suncoast Pacific line)?

Thanks a bunch!

Janese Oct 7th, 2003 01:06 PM

Perhaps you could look at getting a flight from Sydney to Maroochydore then a connection bus to Noosa ( about 20 minutes) otherwise you are in for the most convoluted touring to get from what you want to do to Noosa.
Lone Pine is down the river in Brisbane and the main method one gets there is by ferry, and the nicest, from North Quay in the CBD. I don't know where you can leave your luggage though. Then when you get back to Brisbane you will have to get to Noosa and thats the challange as the Public transport in that area is pathetic to say the least. Its about a 3 hour (bus) ride and I have no idea of the cost. I personally would get the train from Bribane to Cooroy and get a taxi into Noosa because it would be less of a problem BUT do consider that you will be taking transport in peak hours probably and that can be a problem with luggage.
Why no forget about Lone Pine and get a tour to the Deer Sanctuary on the Sunshine Coast where you will be able to play with kangaroos, hold koalas see other nocturnal animals and do what you would do at Lone Pine? Again though without a car in Noosa I have no idea how you would get there on Public Transport - perhaps if you looked up the Sunshine Coast website they may have a local bus map and time table.
The optimum suggestion would be to just rent a car at the airport and drive to Noosa because without one you will have trouble getting anywhere on, or to, the Sunshine Coast.

scurry Oct 7th, 2003 04:13 PM

There used to be two bus companies that ran 3-4 coaches a day from the Brisbane transit Centre to Noosa, stopping at most of the towns along the Sunshine Coast (also down to the Gold Coast to).

One was called Skinnars or Skinners -- they still be in business. The Brisbane Transit Center may have luggage storage and a bus to Lone Pine too.

scurry Oct 7th, 2003 04:14 PM

Sorry, that should have said "They may still be in business."

fripp Oct 7th, 2003 06:24 PM

Janese:
Good advice. I actually wanted to fly into Maroochydore, but after my stint in Noosa, I have to fly out to Cairns. I can fly from Sydney to Maroochydore, but there are no flights from Maroochydore to Cairns (why is that?). If you book a Qantas flight from Maroochydore to Cairns you have to go via Sydney, hence, a very expensive, looong trip. This is why I have to get to Brissy.

I might take your advice and fly into Maroochydore from Sydney though. Then spend my few days in Noosa and make my way down to Brissy. The flight to Maroochydore will cost about $100 bucks more than flying into Brisbane, but I will save myself a 3 hour bus trip and some rushing around.

Just checked Greyhound.com.au and they have fares from Noosa to Brissy for only $12 bucks?? Can that be right?

Now if I could just find a place to hide our luggage while we tour Brisbane?

Scurry:
That's okay, I kind of liked the sound of "...they still be in business" :) Where is the "Brisbane Transit Center" Is that the area on Roma Street where the Greyhound Bus drops us off?

If so you may have solved my problems!

Thanks!
Josh

coastgirl Oct 7th, 2003 07:50 PM

Below is the web address for Lone Pine Sanctuary. I noticed in their transport section that they have a half day tour which leaves from the Brisbane Transit Centre and combines Lone Pine with other places of interest around Brisbane.

http://www.koala.net/travel/travel.htm

And yes, the Brisbane Transit Centre is in Roma Street.

scurry Oct 7th, 2003 08:13 PM

Fripp,

Yes -- Roma Street.

The reason it's only $12 is that it's not that far. It may take 3 hours on the bus cause it stops every 15-20 minutes and doesn't take the highway some of the way. But you could do it in less than 90 minutes in a car, I expect.

fripp Oct 8th, 2003 03:52 PM

Thanks Scurry and coast girl. It appears that Greyhounds route from Brissy to Noosa is only 2.5 hours and $12 buck each way. If I can store my luggage at the Transit center I should be all set!

Anything else I should be aware of?