Brisbane to Broome... live (ish) trip report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really enjoying your trip report, it's a part of Australia that so many Australians know virtually nothing about. That's bad luck about your car but good news that it's under warranty. Imagine the expense and hassle if it wasn't! I do hope your grandson turns out to be fine, it must be worrying for you all. We are off to France very soon but will try and keep up with reading while we're away.

Safe travels
Kay
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Horizontal Falls Photos

Old Aug 29th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Cable Beach at Sunset

Old Aug 31st, 2018, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

That’s nearly a wrap .... the car is officially dead. Ford are flying us home on Tuesday and back again in about three weeks, when the car is repaired. Not ideal but we are looking at it like a break on the trip to see the kids. The last couple of days have been very low key..... just trying to get it all sorted. Went and watched a lantern float parade on the beach this evening. Decided to have a beach day tomorrow before our ‘Long Table dinner’ on Cable Beach.

Sunday we we will have a special Father’s Day lunch for the guys. It’s also dh’s birthday, so will finish on the beach at sunset with a special bottle of wine. Our friends will start their trip home ...alone.... on Monday, we’ll get the van ready to put in storage and pack our bags.

Strange way way to end a wonderful adventure, we’re all a bit flat.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 02:23 PM

Sorry to hear that your trip has ended on a sour note, even though you will continue after the car is repaired. I do hope you will give us more news about your return trip home - as ex-caravaners (due to age and health), we have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports and the great photos. The blog has brought back some great memories.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Marg I sure will
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 10:59 PM

Oh dear - what an upsetting way to halt your travels.
Still hopefully the long dinner and a bottle at sunset will leave you with wonderful memories.

As an ex West Aussie - western sunsets are a very sentimental and treasured part of my happy memories.
Enjoy the beach and safe journey home...looking forward to hearing the final installment.
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 02:32 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
<<Ford I must say have been amazing>>>

Now that's a shocker - they don't call them Found On Road Dead (or Fix Or Repair Daily) for nothing!
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Today is our last day in Broome, a sad farewell this morning to our travel buddies. Bizarre that they will take a week if they drive long days, where as well e’ll be home tomorrow night.

We had a magnificent swim at full tide and utilised the chair and umbrella hire and had a very relaxing day.

The long table dinner on cable beach was a fantastic way to end our adventure together. What a fabulous night, we assemble on the dunes and walk down as a group,as the sun was sinking into the ocean, all 480 of us. While an Opera singer serenaded us and the lights twinkled. Ditched our shoes and had welcome drinks on the sand. I’m still amazed that they sat us all on two tables.... it really was a long table.

Dinner ws prepared by two previous Master Chef contestants, Adam Liaw and Marion Gatsby. And it was delicious .... at the start there were huge platters on each table of salad ingredients... with lots of laughs and a count down we all got chop sticks and ‘tossed’ it. Maybe the yummiest salad I’ve eaten, Asian salad with pearl meat. Next we’re prawns with green mango and papaya... Devine.

The main course was Hervey Bay steak with veg. I have no idea how they managed to get 480 steaks perfect, but they did. Dessert was grilled fruit.

Just a wonderful night, after one two many bubbles the photographer offered to drive us home. How’s that for good service ?

Yesterday was very low key but we had a wonderful seafood feast on the wharf to celebrate Father’s Day and dh’s birthday. The evening was spent on The foreshore at the Shinjuku Matsuri closing concert.

This is morning we took a drive to The Mango Farm for an early lunch, now it’s a final swim at this devine beach. We have a lunchtime flight tomorrow to Brisbane via Sydney.
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Long Table Dinner photos

Last edited by aussiedreamer; Sep 4th, 2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 07:03 AM

I loved following along and enjoyed your photos. Safe travels back home. Hope you receive some rest before heading back to resume your journey.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 03:28 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Just wow. Makes me miss Australia like you would not believe. Thank you for letting us tag along.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 04:44 AM

Great photos and story - hope your car is fixed. Many memories of those beautiful places especially Broome - we've had many family birthdays with big fires on the beach at night .
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 06:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the photos and all the time you put in to share. So glad I popped into the forum and spotted it. Sure is a lot of Australia left to see.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all.... it was fun to do the report on the road. No tv or wifi most nights, may have had something to do with it too.

Car update: looks like we will be flying back over in about 10 days.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 09:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oh no, aussiedreamer - there was I expecting to come back here after 3+ weeks away in Canada and the US to finish reading your TR and you had to go home! Fie. But to judge by those wonderful photos of where you have been so far, it should be worth waiting for.

<<Annhig - will be in touch if there is any chance of Cornwall later this year!>>

Yes please, love_travel_aus.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Here we go...

Currently at Brisbane airport, the car is fixed and we are ready to finish this trip. It’s been very weird being home without the car or the van. But it’s been lovely to see the kids. We’ve got an overnight in Perth then Broome in the morning. We’ll start the drive back right away, we’ve given ourselves a week.... a lot of driving, so probably not much to ‘report’.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 03:27 AM

Safe journey back home auusiedreamer!
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hope the resumed trip goes well and you arrive home safe and sound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -