Search

Brisbane Airport AIRTRAIN to Gold Coast and transfer to Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brisbane Airport AIRTRAIN to Gold Coast and transfer to Hotel

Take the Airtrain, I am told.

BUT I wonder how do I get from the Train Station to the hotel in Main Beach... the taxi fare costs more than a door to door shuttlebus?

I cannot see carting suitcases on a local buses as being an answer - can anyone explain, please, what is the best way to travel from Train Station to the Hotel?

Also can I trust the trains to run on time... and to meet the Plane check in time?
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Google Queensland rail for train costs, it will depend on the time of day you're travelling, but about AUD$30 pp each way. Nerang would be the closest station and about $35 to Main Beach in a taxi from there. There is a taxi rank at the station, again time of day will impact.

There are many companies that do airport transfers. It is kinda nice to have a signboard with your name on it when arriving. Look for prices and compare, con x ion is one company I know of. Guestimate is $65 pp, door to door. There may be other people to drop off on the way.

There is a bus too, again Google airport bus to check for updated rates.

The drive will likely be quicker.

With both options for your return trip, there is probably less risk of delay with the train, but having said that, both train and motorway can shut down when accidents happen. Unlikely but possible.
The trains run on time usually. At peak hour, it can be a zoo.

Happy to answer more questions if you have specifics.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sartoric,

It seems that you pay twice when you add the cost of the TRANSFER FROM Train Station to Hotel.

I like the idea of the the Train... but

Door to door the shuttle bus cost a bit more than the train fare - and No Taxi fare required.

Would an early morning (7.30 am) AirTrain be "peak hour" and like a "zoo"?

Might try both - AirTrain to the Hotel and shuttle back.

Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 12:36 PM

At 7.30 am you'll be going in the opposite direction to the animals (assuming Bris Airport - GC).
If you mean GC to Bris at 7.30, that will be peak hour on a weekday and standing room only.

The roughest times are in the evening.

There was a recent article on news.com.au about the Bombay Express, typical media beat up, but with some valid points.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Airtrain offers an option called Airtrain Connect, where they'll meet you at the station and drop you at your hotel: http://www.airtrain.com.au/products_airtrainconnect.php

Might be worth a look ...
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Yes PM is right, meant to mention that service. It may be good airport to hotel, I used it the other way (home to airport) and they wanted to pick us up 2 hours before the scheduled train - we live 10 minutes from the train station! I bargained them down to 45 mins from memory, still excessive.

Might work for someone on holidays, and not much more than the train fare.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sartoric and pm...

you have got me really thinking now.. glad I asked.

We arrive at Brisbane Airport about lunchtime and will take the train to our Brisbane Hotel. After a few days of fun we'll take the train during the middle of day to Gold Coast, so no problems with the animals.

It will be a mid-week trip back to Brisbane Airport. Check-in is about 10AM so need to depart from Gold Coast before 8AM and leave the Hotel earlier.

Sounds like it could be Zoo feedtime. Are all the train ravellers going to Brisbane Airport or just going to work in Brisbane City.

What do you reckon is better? Take the shuttle bus or stand in the Airtrain from Nerang Station?

Will the Train be full as it leaves Nerang Station?
Can we pay more for a First class seat?
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 04:12 AM

There's no first class unfortunately (that's part of the egalitarian Aussie experience) and you can't book a seat. However, Nerang is only the second station on this line, so you should get a seat (not necessarily so at say Helensvale or further along).

Plenty of travellers with luggage do this, so there's not always a lot of rack space. Most of the people on board will be going to Brisneyland for work, after Central station the train will be pretty empty.

If it were me needing to be at Brisbane Airport by 10 am, I probably would take the train as the M1 (motorway) can get pretty congested from around 7.00 am thru to 9.00 am. One accident can seize up the whole road.

See how you feel about the train on your way here, then maybe decide on how to return, airport transfers are easy to organise on the fly.

Enjoy your stay on the beautiful Gold Coast.
Hope the weather's nice....
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I just rent a car & drive. Never had a problem with one way rental. Takes about an hour, more in peak hours, of course.

Door to door & I have a car to use on the coast if I need it. Useful for grocery shopping to set up the flat and sightseeing.

I'd take the cab + train coming back to the airport. It will be easier as it delivers you to the airport and isn't affected by traffic delays ( caveat about early morning crowds though).
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,

Will use your suggestion sartoric and see how we feel after the trip down to the Gold Coast. The train sounds more reliable.

Guess this travel issue will get better over the next couple of years as the Gold Coast gears up for the Commonwealth Games.

Getting exited now.... ten weeks to go - however it will go quickly as it is a very busy and stressful time at work until the holiday!
Yah! come on..... holiday!