Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Brisbane (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/brisbane-350208/)

desertchick Apr 26th, 2008 06:58 AM

Brisbane

What are your favorite spots in and around Brisbane??
Will visit with 2 children, we know about Australia Zoo and will check out Aussie Rules Football... don't want too much hokey stuff, but like off the beaten path ideas?? Thanks

RalphR Apr 26th, 2008 09:38 AM

desertchick: a few ideas...

Tangalooma on Moreton Island: dolphin feeding, sand tobogganing, whale watching (in winter)

Currumbin Bird Sanctuary, Gold Coast..alternative to Australia Zoo, with more emphasis on birds, though lots of other Aussie animals to be seen, including snakes and crocodiles

Lamington National Park (~1.5 hrs), esp O'Reilly's Guesthouse: kids love feeding the birds; great views, rainforest walks, treetop walk, waterfalls. Stop at the alpaca farm for tea or coffee en route...nice views and you might spot some roos from the balcony

Noosa: beautiful beaches and walks in the Nat'l Park. Saw koalas the last time I was there.

Byron Bay, NSW (about 2 hrs south): beautiful beaches, fantastic coastal views from the lighthouse, whale watching (in winter)

Mt Warning, near Murwillumbah, NSW...if your kids are adventurous, do this climb: enjoy the rainforest and the incredible view. Except for the steep section at the top, the trail is a moderate grade and easily followed. Takes about 2 hrs to the top.

If you go to Byron or Mt Warning, do the drive through lovely Numinbah Valley en route. Stop at Natural Arch ..very interesting.

LizzyF Apr 26th, 2008 02:36 PM

You won't find too much Aussie Rules Football in Brisbane ( or only those from the Southern States) because it is not played much in Queensland or New South Wales. The football code of choice in Queensland is Rugby League or Rugby Union - Aussie Rules is referred to by most Queenslanders as Aerial Ping Pong.

desertchick Apr 26th, 2008 05:45 PM

WOW!!! Thanks so much for the advice, gives me some great direction, really appreciate the input!!

Melnq8 Apr 26th, 2008 09:43 PM

We really enjoyed our visit to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary many moons ago.

www.koala.net/

stormbird Apr 28th, 2008 01:37 PM

You should also check out South Bank right on the Brisbane River. This is the site where World Expo 88 was held. There are restaurants and cycle paths etc but its main attraction is 'The Beach'.

I would suggest a City Cat ferry ride would be very good value and it would give you a great perspective of the city from the river.

'The Gabba' is home base for the Lions Brisbane Australian Rules Football Club, if you're lucky there may be a game on whilst you are here. Aussie Rules does now have a strong following here in Queensland, largely because I suppose, there are so many southerners living here now. IMHO it is the better game to watch over Rugby.

chadnycity May 2nd, 2008 08:32 AM

desertchick,

Can you tell me if you've figured out where you're staying? I can't get a fix on where to stay and there doesn't seem to be much chatter on the forum.

desertchick May 2nd, 2008 08:13 PM

To chadnycity,
I don't know if this is a start for you. We are visiting friends for 10 days in Brisbane, so they suggested we stay on the river, try www.goldsboroughplace.com. It is just outside the city center but there are ferries/boats that go down the river to the center of town. As we are traveling with 2 children, we needed convenience and hoped for a 2 BD. There may be other spots along the river with easy access as well, otherwise, try a new post!
Best of luck!

chadnycity May 2nd, 2008 08:19 PM

Will do. Thanks for the referral.

Suelynne May 4th, 2008 04:21 AM

When I lived in Brisbane I used to love to drive up to Mt Glorious and do the rainforest walk there.

Smeagol May 4th, 2008 04:36 AM

Currumbin wildlife sanctuary was fantastic (went in Dec) i really really enjoyed it and you can feed wallabys and kangaroos. I also got to hold a Koala )they are only allowed to be held for a max of 1/2 a day every 3 days so they are not overworked)

You may also consider the emporium hotel in fortitude valley. VERY stylish, and we thought a bargain. good location to easily get to the airport too. Has some nice designer ans local designer shops as well as several places to eat.

AustraliaZooIsGreat May 7th, 2008 08:11 AM

"Byron Bay, NSW (about 2 hrs south): "

2 Hours? Maybe if you have a helicopter. Try 6.

AustraliaZooIsGreat May 7th, 2008 08:23 AM

"2 Hours? Maybe if you have a helicopter. Try 6."

Ignore that. My mistake. 2 is approximately right.

RalphR May 7th, 2008 01:40 PM

With the fairly new bypass around Murwillumbah and the Burringbar Range, Brisbane-Byron could even be less than 2 hrs - it's something like 160 kms (100 miles).

Smeagol May 7th, 2008 09:13 PM

we did Byron to Brisbane and it was about 2 hours. VERY easy drive .

pat_woolford May 7th, 2008 10:56 PM

About 2 hours for us too, only 3 weeks ago and that included a stop for coffee.

AustraliaZooIsGreat May 7th, 2008 11:17 PM

Yeah it just occured to me that I did the drive before they finished upgrading the gold coast motorway... and while I remember it as 6 hours it was probably more like 3.5 to 4 hours. Mostly because of traffic. That's why I retracted.

seeksocean May 20th, 2008 06:04 PM

bookmarking