Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   BRADLEY'S HEAD PICNIC (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/bradleys-head-picnic-405551/)

mcrogers Mar 1st, 2004 06:07 PM

BRADLEY'S HEAD PICNIC

The time has finally arrived for us to "consummate" our plans which all of you scintillating minds have helped put together. My husband and I are headed to Sydney to spend four days, then to Port Douglas for 4 days where we will meet up with our son, doing the daintree trip to Lizard, and with Trek North in the rainforest, then 4 days at the Gold Coast, and Hinterland (thank you Liz for the volumes of info), then off to Broken Head for 3 days,(thank you johnj for the hot tip), then back to Gold Coast to say Good-bye to our son. HERE'S THE REAL DEAL: all of you who were instrumental in helping to plan our picnic as an alternative to Level 41 and even if you weren't, might want to join us and my new fodorite friend, johnj,(he selflessly offered to join us at our picnic) You, margo, asked where it would be. Well, you all decided it will be at Bradley's Head on March 8 around 6 p.m. Allan, you, too, and Pat,all put your 2-cents worth in and Liz, if you come all the way from Tambourine, I will have DJ's put in some extras. (Thanks for that succulent menu) We are keeping our fingers crossed for great weather, good wine, and the best company. Here's to you all!

Alan Mar 3rd, 2004 02:31 AM

What a fantastic offer, mcrogers! Thank you for including me... I would really love to join you, even though the logistics may not allow this. I'll be thinking about it between now and Monday, however! (In Sydney at present the weather is "unsettled" ... looks like it could rain any time. Hopefully, by Monday it will have returned to its usual dependable self).

lizF Mar 3rd, 2004 11:37 AM

drink a toast to me please - a 1,000klm trip is a tad far to go for me at this point.

pat_woolford Mar 3rd, 2004 11:21 PM

Me too - it's a tad far from Cairns too.
Would have brought back some old memories as my gran used to live at Bradley's head. Have a great time....

alice13 Mar 4th, 2004 03:05 AM

mc- what a great invite. Didn't contribute to your plans, but remember some of your posts. I'd have been there like a flash for the DJ picnic hamper, but I have a week off work and am going to Adelaide for the festival and KI.

Hope you get one of those wonderful balmy Sydney evenings when the sky goes thru serious colour pyrotechnics. When you can see the green and the yellow below the blue and orange.
Never ceases to amaze me...

margo_oz Mar 4th, 2004 10:34 AM

I work on the other side of town, and finish at 5.30, but I'll give it a go with my chook and fizz!!

Weather and work nightmares, depending. You can contact me on [email protected]

mcrogers Mar 8th, 2004 06:34 PM

Just wanted to make a quick report about our picnic. It was divine; defintely 5 star with the sunset and but more importantly the company. Johnj, and his closest friends, and Margo Oz surprised us. It was truely a delightful evening at Bradley Head. Perfect weather, succulent food from David Jones,great wine and the best Australian hospitality. Thank you all for helping us put this together. Will follow later with our trip report.

prue Mar 8th, 2004 07:15 PM

I am so pleased that your Picnic was such a success - and more importantly will be a totally unique Sydney memory for you to take back home.

lizF Mar 8th, 2004 10:15 PM

Lovely to hear about your picnic and I am glad that the weather was kind to you.
For those of you coming to Queensland - especially the South East- please note that we had something of a Cyclone last weekend and are only getting some of the cleaning up finished - and the damage fixed. Anyone going to Noosa may wish to enquire if they still have a beach because the weather was WILD!

Alan Mar 9th, 2004 03:08 AM

mcrogers, reading your post was a real pleasure. What you did -- and so many tourists don't do -- is see the REAL Sydney. Just as Paris is sidewalk eateries and New York is bagel-and-hot-dog stands, Sydney is a picnic basket in the park. Good on you, and do visit us again!

margo_oz Mar 9th, 2004 10:19 PM

Fortunately, we turned on decent weather for our guests - after an especially dreary weekend. Clear blue skies, and hot. Small yachts racing, the odd maxi-yacht, ferries, fishing boats and a huge ocean liner all passed by us.

The company was good, the sunset over the harbour and the bridge was stunning, and a brush tailed possum turned up to look at the visitors!