Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Boxing Day Lunch Cruise for the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race

Nov 21st, 2005, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

I am considering joining the Boxing Day Lunch Cruise to watch the start of the Rolex Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race this December 26 but am wondering if it is interesting enough to worth the time and effort.

Has anyone been on this cruise or watch that race? Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks.
Nov 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM

Start of Sydney-Hobart is the biggest event of year on Sydney Harbour. Its quite a spectacle, certainly interesting and exciting enough to be worth the time and effort.
Nov 21st, 2005, 11:10 PM

I do not really recommend it. I have been on a cruise and even though being part of it was fun the spectacle seen from a distance up high cannot be beat.

I prefer 100% better to go to the lighthouse area up high from Watson's Bay. Here you see the whole flotilla comimg down through the heads then the yachts themselves sail out of the heads. A wander downhill to Watsons Bay for some seafood lunch and a glass of wine afterwards makes for a brilliant day and really does beat being on the water imho.
Nov 21st, 2005, 11:17 PM

Ok just asked my other half and he prefers the boat. So you have started a domestic lol. I just prefer to see a view rather than be part of it I guess. Like when you get front seat for a football game all you see is the linesmen and officals rather than the play.

But either way if the sky is blue and the water sparkling it is a great day out.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:45 AM

I think it would be a great experience. It's one of the World's premier yacht races and the atmosphere on the water is sensational. Haven't done a commercial lunch cruise, but have been on a yacht amongst the flotilla a few times and it's fantastic.

Agree with Tassietwister too, the view of the whole field from The Gap or Watsons Bay is pretty hard to beat. I guess it's a matter of whether you want to be (relatively) in amongst the action or have a bird's eye view from above.

Another option, which I've done and is great fun, is to take a water taxi from Manly through the field (well before the start, obviously) to Watsons Bay.

If I were a visitor to Sydney on Boxing day & had the chance to be a part of the Sydney-Hobart, I'd jump at it.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:21 AM

Going on a cruise and being a land-based spectator are both pretty amazing. I don't know about a "lunch cruise" - the sort I've been on were aboard a Manly ferry having a day off and there was just a snack bar. Maybe there was a bar too - I didn't look for one.

One year the drizzle and the sea fret made it impossible to see the fleet. Another was all sparking blue and it was an enormous thrill to be within spitting distance of a maxi like "Nicorette".

If you decide on land-based viewing then be sure to get on the bus to Watsons Bay where it starts (Circular Quay). They are usually full by the time they reach the stops further up by Hyde Park.

Don't miss it!!

Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:47 AM

There are two buses to Watsons Bay, one takes the high road and one takes the low road. The high road one is best, no walking back uphill. I think, fairly sure, it is the #324 to Watsons Bay.

If anyone reading is not in Sydney for Boxing Day start of the this fab race then I still recommend this bus trip out to Watsons Bay. Nice trip and then you can catch a ferry back if timetable is on your side. And have some fish and chips at the take-awy, the pub or Doyles.
Nov 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM

On a good day, this'd be a great thing to do. In fact - I may just try it. (and I live here!)
Nov 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. We will give it a try.
Nov 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

I was about to book the cruise but realised that there are two types: one with a showboat and one with a magistc cruise jet cat. All other things are the same for the two cruises.

The jet cat costs AUD21 more per person. But that should not be a factor for our decision.

Can anyone give me some insights about which one is better for our purpose and what are the reasons for the difference in price?

Thanks.
Nov 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

For your information, this is the website I am looking at and trying to book through: http://www.sydney.com.au/sydney-to-h...yacht-race.htm
Nov 30th, 2005, 05:23 PM

No idea of the difference!

The Showboat is a bit tacky
Nov 30th, 2005, 06:34 PM

the showboat is really tacky.
Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if one can get outside to the open air in the jet cat? If not, it doesn't sound that much fun.
Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM

Maxi, there's only a little space at the back of the Sydney-Manly hydrofoils; not sure about the River-cats that run down the Parramatta River. I have a feeling that they may have some outside space but the last time I was on one was (a) a years ago and (b) pouring rain.