Bora Bora or Moorea - Which is your favorite?

Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Bora Bora or Moorea - Which is your favorite?

Which island do you like better - Bora Bora or Moorea - and why?
Feb 4th, 2006, 12:03 AM
aby

Cathy

i haven't been to either...
but reading Tony Horwitz's book 'Blue Latitudes' i understood that Bora Bora is a myth some people r trying to stick to. The book follows Captain Cook - the author re-sailed his voyage read chap 3 about Bora bora:
Over crowded touristically, junk "souvenirs", environmentally deteriorated - the only outlet in the reef cannot cope with all the sewage of "over-hoteling" ...

Sorry.
guess those who visited may say differently. Remember a lot of folks who paid a nice sum for some dream will never admit it was bullshit

aby
Feb 4th, 2006, 01:02 AM
ALF

Bora Bora has that classic lagoon ringed by motus and a barrier reef, as well as the interior jagged peaks. It is certainly beautiful. There is very little habitable land along the perimeter of the inner island, so it feels somewhat overdeveloped and crowded. It is also hard to find reasonably-priced (for French Polynesia) accomodations and restaurants.

Moorea is not quite as beautiful, although it has its charms. The interior is not as rugged or spectacular, and the lagoon is not as scenic, but there are fine beaches and bays in various places. Because there are fewer big hotels and there is more habitable land, Moorea feels much less crowded and hectic. It is also easier to get too - a quick ferry ride from Papeete.

I think you should see Bora Bora at least once in your life, but after that, I would spend my time on Moorea.
Feb 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM
JS1

We visited both islands last June and I have to say I was sceptical about Bora Bora until I stepped off the plane and onto the boat waiting to take us to Bora Bora Lagoon Resort. It was out of this world and I have been lucky enough to travel alot. Crossing the lagoon the first time was breathtaking and our hotel was superb. I couldn't fault it.

Moorea was also pretty but it didn't have the wow factor of Bora Bora. It was fun to drive around it in the open go cart and we swam with the dolphins which whilst very commercial was a great experience. I think both islands compliment each other.

We also stayed on Tahaa at the Island Spa. This was beautiful also but the snorkeling was nothing compared to Bora Bora. If I could go back I would probably miss out Tahaa and go to one of the islands further out. I also would certainly avoid spending any time on Tahiti which was a real let down at the end of an otherwise amazing trip.

You will have a fantastic time I am sure.

Joanna

Search this Thread