Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Bora Bora and Rangiroa for Honeymoon Sept 03 (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/bora-bora-and-rangiroa-for-honeymoon-sept-03-a-324145/)

Wendy Jun 4th, 2003 03:01 PM

Bora Bora and Rangiroa for Honeymoon Sept 03

We are starting to look into these two islands for our honeymoon in early Sept. We will probably go for 14 days, should we maybe throw in Moorea as well?

We are thinking of on OW bungalow on Rangiroa and a beach bungalow on Bora Bora.

Any comments from anyone who's been recently would be great. Things not to miss, restaurants, etc.

Thanks!

Wendy

DE Jun 4th, 2003 05:36 PM

Hi Wendy,

I have been to FP twice. Once was about 8 yrs ago on a Windstar cruise and we visited a number of islands including the 2 you mention. We were also there in Sept. 2002, staying on land this time ( Moorea & the Marquesas Islands )

If you are going to be there for 2 weeks, you will have plenty of time to visit more than 2 islands and yes I would suggest you spend a few days on Moorea as well. It offers a little more variety in regard to restaurants and activities. I have driven around Bora Bora but have not stayed on the island. It is lovely but is supposed to be much busier than when I was last there ( on cruise ) It does have spectacular lagoon areas. Because of the spectacular water on Bora Bora I would probably do an OW there
I don't remember a lot about Rangiroa so can't make any recommendations for that island. Just know that it will be quieter which would be enjoyable as well.

On Moorea we stayed at 2 resorts ( Pearl & Sheraton ) and my preference was the Sheraton. It's more upscale with more ammenities and we stayed in a Horizon OW and it was just great. Ask for a sunset view if possible.

A restaurant that we ate dinner at a number of times was called Te Hono iti. Nice atmosphere and good food. Better cuisine than in the hotel restaurants for dinners.

Hope some of this info is helpful

sandi Jun 5th, 2003 05:08 AM

Wendy - During 14 days you certainly have enough time to do more than 2 islands.

Rangiroa is the furthest out and there are few choices as to accommodations and food other than your hotel. Rangiroa should be the first stop.

Then you can fly back to Bora Bora and finally Moorea. Both of these islands have lots of hotels and restaurant choices if only at other resorts.

The reason I mention doing the furthest island first is that regardless when you get back to Tahiti for your return flight you have to wait till around Midnight to leave and often wind up with a long layover. Though once you arrive in PPT you can check your bags and go for dinner before departure.

Being on Moorea last, no doubt they have a later flight or even the ferry which hopefully you won't have as long a time to "hang out" till flight home.

With 14 days, I would instead try to get to the Marquesas Islands for 4-days. These islands are rarely visited and are completely different than Tahiti. You can get a package for about $1,000 that includes air, tours, hotels and most meals. Then return to PPT and head out to Rangiroa and back to Bora Bora or Moorea.

The only drawback of going to the Marquesas is that it is another 4-hr. flight - but even though, know it won't be crowded, touristy (as will be Bora Bora/Moorea), and you'll have been somewhere that most people have never heard of, though these were the first of the Polynesian islands discovered.

Wendy Jun 6th, 2003 08:27 AM

Excellent thoughts! Thank you! We are going to skip Marqueses this time but I think we will try to add Moorea. I'm soooo excited!!!

addwag Jun 18th, 2003 12:42 PM

we are leaving for our honeymoon today and will be going to Huahine and Bora bora; in BB we are staying at the Softiel Motu (sp) Its on its on little private island off of the main island so it should be slightly less busy and it hold a max of 30 rooms... its just another option

Wendy Jun 19th, 2003 08:39 AM

addwag,

Our friends did BB and Houahine last year. I hope that you will come back and give me a trip report!!

ebrener Jun 19th, 2003 08:43 AM

I stayed in the Motu in January on my honeymoon. The hotel is gorgeous, However, I must say that the service was terrible. Our minibar and TV didn't work and took a day to repair, the A/C was not really adequate for the room (it was an o/w bungalow), and the people were rather unfriendly for a small upscale hotel. They even refused to call a restaurant to make reservations and arrange transportation for us. They told us to go back to our room and call from there. I must say I corresponded with Sofitel's general manager for FP after we got back, and she profusely apologized, and even refunded us a little money as reparation. We didn't eat at the hotel, but we did have lunch at the Marara, and you are better off skipping it. Do try Fare Manuia (French cuisine), it was the best we had in the island.

In Moorea, we stayed at the Beachcomber, also o/w bungalow, and I can't say enough good things about it. It is much larger than the motu, but by the second morning, the staff remembered our names. They were very helpful in arranging tours and dinners, including transportation.

If you want any more recommendations, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Regards,

Enrique

Wendy Jun 20th, 2003 11:56 AM

Thanks Enrique. Which island is Motu on?

ebrener Jun 20th, 2003 02:47 PM

It;s the Sofitel Motu, in Bora Bora...

BillJ Jun 20th, 2003 07:48 PM

Dear Wendy: congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. The two islands you have targeted are very different. BB is very active with lots of things going on. Rangi is very laid back, with basically nothing going on. No bars, shopping, nothing. If you want nothing to do, go to Rangi, and be sure to "shoot the pass" with Pascal and Cosetta, one of the most exhilarating snorkling experiences you will ever have in your life. The Kia Ora hotel is the only upscale hotel www.hotelkiaora.com with o/w. Restaurants are not plentiful, and resources /menus are limited. Our experience is that you do not need the a/c with the breezes. We actually slept out on the deck. The largest motu is only 6 miles long, and about 300 yards wide. The highest point is 3-4 meters.
Kia ora also offers for two night min a stay on a lonely motu across the lagoon. Called Kia Ora Sauvage, there are only 5 huts, no electricity, and a guy and his wife, and another, to cook and help you. A honeymooners dream, IMHO. We were there in Mar '02. The trip of a life time. We stayed two nights Kia Ora Village, 2 at the Sauvage, then two back at the Village.
But don't expect lots of activity on Rangi. You will be sorely dissappointed. for South Seas romanitic remoteness, can't be beat. Can provide more details on request.

MattyA Jun 20th, 2003 08:56 PM

I am also looking at Bora Bora, Moorea, etc. for honeymoon. My question is how have you found the best rates for airfare, hotels, etc? Do you wrap it all into one package, or book everything separately? Any good travel agents or websites?

Its quite overwhelming when looking at the number of options in FP, and trying to put a finger on the cost.

Are OW bungalows as awesome as they look in pictures? I'm thinking it would be a waste to not spend the extra hundreds to stay in an OW.

Thanks for any feedback..as I'm trying to learn the area for my first time.

MattyA

DE Jun 21st, 2003 05:42 PM

MattyA,

You might want to check out the following website as an information resource for French Polynesia. I found it very helpful when planning my last trip there.
www.tahiti-explorer.com

And yes the overwater bungalows are really neat to experience and if you can afford the extra expense, I would definitely stay in one. We thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent in the OWB during our vacation.

BillJ Jun 22nd, 2003 02:53 PM

Tehiti-explorer is a great site for gathering info on the FP islands through their travel forum. They are also a travel agency specializing in FP. I have not used them, but have heard reports from those that have, all positive. You can call them and get a quote. It will be competitive, though perhaps not the lowest.
I would also get a quote through Costco travel (costco.com). My last trip to the Cook Islands was done through them, not a problem and saved $. Tell them what islands, how long, type of dwelling, etc., they will come back to you with a price. I have also used my local TA who booked through SunFinders (I think). Had good experience there also.
My impression is that packages will give you the best chance of saving, especially air fare. Remember when booking package tours, the cheapest is sometimes not the best.
OW's are a special way to enjoy the South Pacific. We splurge for them every chance we can. In our opinion, they are worth every outrageous penny. You will remember your stay for a lifetime. However, if I could go to FP only if I did not stay in an OW, I would still go; in a heartbeat.

Wendy Jun 23rd, 2003 12:31 PM

BillJ, fantastic information! We are going to see if we can do 2 nights in Sauvage also! And the whole reason we are going to Rangi is to shoot the pass! I read about it in a National Geographic Traveler!

Matty, the best price we have found is thru Costco. Although they aren't as helpful since they aren't full service the savings of over $1K per person is worth it!

BillJ Jun 23rd, 2003 03:28 PM

Hi, Wendy. You're right about costco. Do a lot of your own research, so you can tell them exactly how many days and which hotel, maybe choices 1 and 2.
On Rangi, we stayed at the Kia Ora Village OW, and they arranged the "Shoot the Pass" trip. Your hosts will be Pascal (drives the boat) and Cosetta. They will give you lycra body suits and life vests (no choice, you must wear). Pascal drives the boat to the ocean edge of the pass, while Cosetta gives you a briefing. You all jump in the water, link up by holding hands with Cosetta in the middle and get ready for the ride of your life. It's like the discovery channel in fast forward. You will do 2 to 4 drifts, depending on the current, then spend time at the "aquarium"
The day after we got there, they picked us up at the dock at 8 am, back by 10:30 or so. The day after returning from the Sauvage, they picked us up at 10am, back a little after 12. Again, depends on the current. For a week after we left they didn't go out at all cause the current was too rough.
They can also take you for a ride in the afternoon to watch dolphins surfing outside the pass. I believe "Shooting the Pass" was about $45 per person, and can be charged to your room.
We did not get the meal package at Kia Ora Village, and were glad. There is one other restaurant on the little island, le KaiKai (Marquesan for "eat") They owner will pick you up at the hotel and bring you back. There are a couple of other pensiones we ate at. But, resources are limited here, and food tends to be what is caught in the lagoon that day (like the barracuda that eyed me suspiciously). Very good, mind you, but don't expect the ritz.
As you maybe can tell, Rangi is my favorite trip of all time. Period!

Wendy Jun 25th, 2003 08:37 AM

Our reservations are made! 2 nights Kia Ora, 2 nights Kia Ora Sauvage! Thanks so much Bill. It looks like all the rooms at Sauvage are on the beach?

We are also spending 4 nights in Bora Bora and 4 nights in Moorea.

And for Matty... we registered for our honeymoon on www.thehoneymoon.com Check it out! It's a great way to get your friends and family involved in the fun!

Wendy

Loki Jun 25th, 2003 09:25 AM

Add another vote for Costco, we found the service to be excellent, the price saved us over $1k, and they send frequent itinerary updates/changes if and when the inter island flight schedules change slightly.

Louise Jun 25th, 2003 10:18 AM

"Shooting the pass" was a life-time experience for me also. Cosetta is the sweetest person. We also did what I think is called the "Blue Lagoon trip" and on the way back from that was able to do the other "pass" from the ocean. Not much safety concern there as I was "dumped" from the boat with no safety equipment and by myself. When I looked up, I swear I was about a half mile from land and freaked out a little until I spied the boat coming to pick me up.