Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Bondi or Coogee Beach??? after Sydney. (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/bondi-or-coogee-beach-after-sydney-614968/)

kg531 May 12th, 2006 04:32 AM

Bondi or Coogee Beach??? after Sydney.

Hi all- going to Australia in November, and will be staying in Sydney for 3 nights before meeting up with friends. I'm a 30 yr. old woman, well travelled, and have done the backpacker thing before. I was thinking to divide the nights between the city and either Bondi or Coogee beach.
Any tips one either? I would need reasonable accomodations- not a low end backpack hostel, but I def. don't need luxury or an ocean view.
Any tips? i know 3 days is not much.
Looking at the affordable "Y Hotel" for Sydney as well...

fuzzylogic May 12th, 2006 04:44 AM

I've heard good things about the "Y". Friend stays there often.

You must visit Bondi/Coogee - has to be seen - but I have to say I find Bondi underwhelming. And don't have any off the cuff recco's for Coogee.Have you considered the Northern Beaches? Manly perhaps?

kg531 May 12th, 2006 04:55 AM

will have plenty of beach time once I leave Sydney... my friend lives in Melb., and we are doing the drive from Sydney... I was just more concerned with not "burning out" at one place for 3 nights in the city, and thought Bondi or Coogee would be an option- although I am not impressed by what I've been reading about Bondi...
Good news about the "Y"- I think that's a definite for a night or 2

lancefan May 12th, 2006 03:48 PM

For November both Bondi and coogee will be getting busier, but still not as frenetic as they are in the height of summer. Bondi does tend to have a rep for the backpacker haven, but it is quite nice, especially around at north bondi. if you are into surfing, bondi has a surf school and has better 'surf' than coogee, but coogee is definitely a bit more low key. as for places to stay, there is a nice little place at coogee called dive hotel, which is very nice but might be a little more than you are after. I had friends that stayed at the wizard of oz backpackers which was quite pleasant - it's in an older kind of house and they have a wide range of rooms. something like that if it was mid week in november might be ok. also, the main pub on the water, the coogee bay hotel apparently has refurbished rooms - again good for mon - thurs, but I would avoid on fri/sat nights. actually I'd try and avoid coogee at the weekends in general - it's much more pleasant. lots of nice places to eat in coogee, barzura is good, deep blue bistro is good (both southern end of the beach) and there's a couple of nice restaurants up a street at the northern end of the beach too, rice and ... a seafood place which i can't remember the name of.

Alan May 13th, 2006 05:38 AM

Bondi has the international reputation, but, frankly, if I were staying in one area, I think I'd prefer Coogee... you can always walk along the ocean trail to Bondi for a look.

However, for a beachside holiday, I would have to say that neither Coogee nor Bondi can hold a candle to Manly... and you get that great ferry ride every time you travel into Sydney (all Bondi and Coogee can offer is a public bus).

Neil_Oz May 13th, 2006 02:46 PM

One thing that mightn't be too clear from a distance is that the areas mentioned are really quite close to the city centre. This means that you don't have to divide your lodgings between the city and the beach - you can have it all by staying at one of the beachside suburbs mentioned and accessing the city quickly (say about 30 minutes) and inexpensively by public transport.

I agree with Alan - Manly offers your very own low-cost harbour cruise every time you do the commute. I haven't been to Bondi for a long time but by some reports it's now infested by permanently drunk British and Irish backpackers. Locals on this board may be able to comment on how much of a nuisance this represents to visitors who (like me) are Godly and sober.

Alan May 14th, 2006 05:18 PM

God help us all.... I've only been away from this site for a couple of months, and in that short time Neil has totally turned his character around! He must have been granted a peek into Hell!

Alan May 14th, 2006 05:20 PM

Next thing you know, LizF will be starting off her replies with, "Far be it from me to push my own views on anyone....."

Neil_Oz May 14th, 2006 07:16 PM

A remake of "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers"?

Alan, I can only plead that I must have been the victim of identity theft. We've yet to hear whether the problem has spread as far as Mount Tamborine...

margo_oz May 15th, 2006 06:52 PM

Yikes!!!
Neil is "Godly and sober"! Since when!?

I love Bondi - it's such a mish-mash of styles and types, and nowhere near as trendy as Manly. Much better for those of us who are not anorexic! Mind you - I've never stayed there. My favourite restaurant, Seans Panaroma, is across the road from the beach at North Bondi.

Manly is nice - but..... and I got caught in a rip on Manly Beach and ended up in Manly Hospital Intensive Care Apart from that....

Coogee - the only place I know is the Coogee Bay Hotel, which can get a bit rough (although it wasn't the night I was there) I, too, am Godly and sober (sometimes!)

nevets May 16th, 2006 02:25 PM

I just heard of a beach which sounds good, not sure where it is though, called "Echo Beach" and "it's far away in time".
"My job is very boring I'm an office clerk".
I need to find out where it is because Martha and the Muffins hang out there to watch the sun go down.

margo_oz May 16th, 2006 06:35 PM

Nevets
absolutely no idea!

kg531 Oct 3rd, 2006 11:15 AM

going through old posts and saw this. I finally decided on Manly :) after 2 nights at the "Y" in Syd.
Unfortunately- all hostels are booked for November- I'm in at the Manly Paradise Hotel for a reasonable rate. Looks nice, and will be a nice departure after the *very affordable* Y Hostel dorms

twilightzone Oct 3rd, 2006 11:50 PM

My fave beach is Bungan beach -(next to Whale beach) unfortunately no where cheap to stay except at Jonah's on Bynya Rd - great restaurant too. Looking over the beach - & not touristy.

pat_woolford Oct 4th, 2006 12:37 AM

I practically grew up on Bungan Beach, its between Mona Vale and Newport Beaches, a fair way from Whale Beach. Bungan is hard to get to unless you don't mind a bit of a climb, so the beach is never crowded. The nearest accommodation would be the Newport Arms Hotel, which shouldn't be missed anyway, if just for a drink in the famous beer garden.

Jonah's on Bynya Rd, Whale Beach would have one of the best views in Sydney, but its certainly not cheap!

cirwin50 Oct 15th, 2015 02:32 PM

If you are deciding only between Bondi and Coogee, I vote for Coogee. As someone mentioned above, there is the Coogee Beach Hotel, which I've never stayed at but have had dinner there.

I highly recommend Bronte Beach, which is between the two others. There's a lovely cliff walk that takes you from Coogee to Bondi, or vice versa. You pass through a number of charming beaches and oceanside neighborhoods.

If you end up staying in Bondi, I wouldn't pay for a hotel - too expensive. Look on airbnb instead.

Bokhara2 Oct 15th, 2015 03:54 PM

Cirwin50, you have managed to resurrect a 9 year old post!

mlgb Oct 15th, 2015 04:38 PM

I guess cirwin50 doesn't realize that posting history includes dates and times.

S/he recently joined Fodors and conspicuously always mentions a particular travel agency consolidator in their handful of posts. Only after I suggested a possible ulterior motive have they dragged up two posts to try to whitewash their posting history.

Bokhara2 Oct 15th, 2015 06:59 PM

Doesn't wash, does it mlgb?

The only good thing about this exhumation is seeing our dear & late friend NeilOz's post.

At last the Korean spammers give us those pretty little pictures to look at!

cathies Oct 19th, 2015 02:24 AM

I didn't realise how old it was until I spotted Neil's post and twigged that it was old. Nothing gets past me ��