Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Boating Day Trips - Australia - Our top 3 (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/boating-day-trips-australia-our-top-3-a-562864/)

Tassietwister Oct 6th, 2005 03:32 AM

Boating Day Trips - Australia - Our top 3

We have been zipping around Australia a lot last few years and have totally fallen in love with Far North Queensland.

However...

A trip to the Great Barrier Reef has not been as seductive to us.

Our top 3 boat trips are the same yet in different order, we both vote the Great Barrier Reef at number 3. Coming in at number 4 are trips on Sydney Harbour but seeing we have done these like 400 times we may have "over it" attitude.

My favourite is the Montague Island Boat trip from Narooma with whale watching which we have done this past week. Totally awesome. We saw so much in only a few hours and the guide from National Parks and wildlife was perfect.

My husbands favourite was the Gordon River cruise in Tasmania which I ranked second. That was such a fantastic day but more focus on relaxing and wine and cheese compared to bumpy ride to see whales and other wildlife.

We both rate Great Barrier Reef at 3.

Do we over rate the Great Barrier Reef.? Afterall the greatness is in it's sheer size which we cannot appreciate from a boat.

Anybody have any other recommendations for a great one day boat trip?

Tassietwister Oct 6th, 2005 03:38 AM

Really want to do a cruise on the Murray if anyone has any experience of this, let me know!

dotty Oct 7th, 2005 01:53 PM

Hi tassietwister,
We too love FNQ - it has such a diversity in scenery, people and things to do, doesn't it. And the weather when we come across in September is just fabulous.
Now, the Murray river cruise. Our family had a short trip on the Murray - can't remember the name of the boat - in 1990 from Echuca. We would love to have done a longer trip but had time restraints on us as we needed to explore the rest of Echuca! It was a very pleasant outing, one I would be very happy to repeat.
Of those you have mentioned I have only been to the Barrier - not too keen on small boats these days after a very scary experience in Punta de l'Este. Hopefully one day will have the courage to do those you have mentioned.

shandy Oct 7th, 2005 06:52 PM

Tassietwister, I love doing househoat holidays along the Murray. It is great fun especially if you go with some friends. Learning to drive the boat is very easy, you take along plenty of wine, stop whenever you see a place you like, go fishing or drifting, stop at a winery if you have already drunk all your wine, have a BBQ at the sun goes down, stop at any little towns or restaurants that take your interest, swim, have fun working out how to get through a lock, drink more wine again. You get my drift, lots of laughs, fun and it can be as active or tranquil as the mood suits you.

I've never tried a cruise along the Murray where you are simply the passenger so I can't compare the two experiences.

Tassietwister Oct 10th, 2005 02:53 AM

Well I am sold on a Murray Trip!