Search

Blue Mountains or not?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Mountains or not?

If you had three nights in Sydney, would you take out a day to visit the Blue Mountains? I will have five nights there, however my children and parents will only have three. I'm inclined to just explore the city. However, I've heard the Blue Mountains are not to be missed.

We will , on the rest of our trip, be exploring some of the Red Center and spend a day in the Yarra Valley to get a sense of some natural beauty. In addition we have four nights in Melbourne exploring the city and two nights in Cairns. What do you think?
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:31 PM

"Sydney or the Bush"

The Blue Mountains are not like any of the other places you are going but then Sydney is full of attractions too.

I think it comes down to prioities.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:47 AM

It depends on what you enjoy. Also, are your parents and children at an age where they will enjoy doing some walking in the mountains? We loved an easy walk on a trail. I might be a bit less apt to go there if it were simply to stand at a lookout at take photos.

Sydney's fantastic and there's much to see and do. But for me ... I'd include the Blue Mountains. We really enjoyed our day tour there.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:14 AM

As a former Blue Mountains resident I'd take a day out of 5 to see the Mountains, perhaps, but not a day out of 3, as that would leave too little time for your children and parents to enjoy Sydney. If you want to spend some time doing something active and enjoying scenery there are some excellent coast walks in Sydney that would take up half a day.

(Said as a former BM resident).
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It seems your group has a lot packed into your itinerary already. I'm not sure that I'd add another destination when you only have 3 in Sydney. Perhaps leave it until you get here and see how everyone feels at the time. Some of you may want to go, but others may prefer a little downtime to explore Sydney at leisure.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think we will hang in Sydney, but we will play it by ear.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:11 AM

Misha,
I am following your posts closely as my trip to Australia is similar in many ways. We are also planning to visit Sidney (3 nights), Uluru (2) and Cairns (2). Instead of Melbourne, we chose Adelaide.

My family is even interested in having that up&close experience with the Kangaroos and Koalas that you mentioned in another post.

When do you plan to go? I would be really interested in reading your trip report!

Thanks,
Roberto
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Will let you know! In Sydney now.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM

and haven't we turned on great weather for you!!!
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Weather in Syndey was fabulous! Melbourne, not quite the same.
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:30 AM

The Blue Mountains are lovely. However, I was in Sydney in April and did a day tour to the Blue Mountains... lovely day but we only had 1 hour at Katoomba!!! The rest of the day was meandering around fauna parks and lunch, and a ferry ride back into the city. If you go to the Blue Mountains Id see if you can go independently... and Im not sure how much time you would need to spend travelling to get there. Coastal walks around Sydney are wonderful; the zoo is great; and the Bridge Climb is AWESOME!!!! Have a wonderful holiday.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM

With so much to do in Sydney and so little time, I'd only consider thai AFTER the children had been to the zoo and aquarium, where they will be assured wildlife sightings.
Here's an account of what we did with a week in Sydney:

http://www.notabletravels.com/destin...ey/Sydney.html
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Linda, isn't that assured animal sightings. Hardly wildlife!

Or would you count a tiger in a zoo as 'wildlife'?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:49 PM

Lakeside Chick -what tour company did you use for the Blue Mts?

We are leaving in a week, have 5 nights in Sydney and had considered a day tour to the Blue Mountains. I'd like to know what company you used.

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM

We went from Sydney with a small tour group to the Blue Mountains a few years ago and wished we had spent the day in Sydney instead. Poor weather did not help, but we thought there were many places in the US that outshine the Blue Mountains whereas there is only one Sydney.