Best way to send funds to Australia from United States

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to send AU$500 to Australia from the U.S. The tour guide I will be useing does not accept credit cards. He asked that I send the funds via bank draft/check, or through a wire transfer. Which would be the least expensive way to send the money?

Thanks for the help. I have always used a credit card to send deposits overseas, and have no idea about how to send funds by check or wire in foreign currency.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM

happy2travel - I find it strange that a tour operator in Australia, wont accept credit cards.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also find that a bit odd. Have you checked the legitimacy of the tour guide? I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get your money back if something goes wrong.
If you get the bank account details of the tour guide - BSB number, account number and bank name and address - any bank should transfer the money for you directly into the tour guides account. You'd pay a fee I imagine and I would feel a bit uncomfortable doing this, it sounds very unusual. We also have Western Union and Thomas Cook here, you could check out their fees.
Kay
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:53 AM
sandi

There are many tour operators worldwide that do not accept credit cards. Either they don't want to be bothered, want to raise their prices to include the fees associated with cards, or any other number of reasons... maybe they don't want to report it as income. So wire transfers are the norm.

If you're dealing with a reputable company, they should provide you with their bank name, account and routing numbers. Your bank should be able to handle this for you for a fee which can run from $15 to $50. The funds should be in the Australia bank within a day or two. Have the guide confirm when it is received.

You may ask of this guide whether you can wire a "deposit" and pay the balance on arrival. Just stop at an ATM, withdraw the balance in AUD and pay him/her. This latter may give you a better sense of security.

Again, wire transfers are usual for many services worldwide.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for sharing your advice, and also for your concern.

The guide I am using is very reputable and has given me all of his bank information. I feel very comfortable forwarding the money to him; I just wasn't sure of the best way to go about doing this.

By the way, the $500 is a deposit -the full 3 night/ 4 day tour will be 4 times that.

Sandi, thanks for the idea of using an ATM for the balance. I'm not sure that I will be able to withdraw $1500 from an ATM at one time, though. Do you know if this is possible?
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM

You probably can't withdraw $1500 in one day - I think most banks have a $1000 limit. You may need to use 2 bank accounts.