One week South Island/NZ itinerary assistance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've reviewed the wealth of information on the forum and have finally made some decisions, but could now use help with the middle portion of our one week stay (Dec 8-15) on the SI. I know we need more time, but it is what it is and I am grateful to have the one week to begin our first-time exploration of NZ.

We arrive Christchurch (CHC) late on the evening of 12/8. Haven't yet booked accommodation in CHC area, but will most likely stay somewhere near the airport, since we get in so late, 11:30 pm. I would like to do a quick survey of the city, as I am involved in emergency prep in CA and would like to see some of the earthquake-related "sites" as it were. We will rent a car and travel to Aoraki/Mt Cook via Lake Tekapo on Day 1 (12/9) and stay at the Aoraki Court Motel for two nights.

We leave from Queenstown (ZQN) and are spending the last two nights at Villa del Lago (12/13 and 12/14). We will have time for Glenorchy here. We depart on 12/15.

I need help with the nights of 12/11 and 12/12, i.e. which city to stay in for optimum use of our limited time. I am tentatively thinking night of 12/11 Wanaka and 12/12 Te Anau, to do Milford. Does that sound logical? It might be a lot of driving, but we like roadtrips and don't mind long distances. Any advice or recommendations for best scenery/outings or lodging would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance!
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
So,

12-8 Arrive Christchurch, overnight
12-9 - Explore Christchurch, drive to Mt Cook via Tekapo, overnight Mt Cook
12-10 - Explore Mt Cook

12-11 - Wanaka?
12-12 - Te Anau?

12-13 - Queenstown, overnight
12-14 - Queenstown, overnight
12-15 - Depart via Queenstown

The problem with trying to fit in both Wanaka and Te Anau is travel distance and lack of time.

The drive from Mt Cook to Wanaka is three hours, which is well and good, but the next day, your drive to Te Anau is about 3.5 hours, and then it's another two hours to get Milford. That's 5.5 hours out of your day right there. So, if Milford is your goal, you've have little time to see it as that day is pretty much used up just getting there, then of course it's two hours back to Te Anau.

I wouldn't normally recommend this, but given your lack of time and your goals, you might consider driving from Mt Cook to Te Anau (over six hours) on 12-11, spending that night in Te Anau, and then dedicating the entire next day to Milford (and it will take a whole day). Then also spend the night of 12-12 in Te Anau, and make the drive from Te Anau to QT the following day (two hours).

As far as accommodation in Te Anau, I can recommend The Croft, Birchwood Cottages and Assure Amber Court Motel.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your feedback Melnq8. Given your comments, it seems that you then agree that it is worth this extra effort to be able to spend a day around Milford. It helps to hear this from someone who has done these drives/distances before. Will the Mt. Cook to Te Anau driving day be pretty scenic, too? I will explore the lodging you recommended. Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 07:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, Mt Cook to Te Anau will be scenic, but long - about 422 km. You'll have to limit your stops, but at least long summer daylight will be in your favor.

You'll drive by a salmon farm, some beautiful glacial blue lakes, over Lindis Pass, through the wine country of Lake Dunstan and Cromwell, along beautiful Lake Wakatipu, and through the mountain fringed countryside.

I suggest you get a very early start and make a day of it.

Same with the following day. I recommend you leave Te Anau early to stay ahead of the bus traffic from Queenstown. I suggest you take either the earliest cruise of the day in Milford, or the last cruise of the day.

Either way, you'll have sufficient time to explore the wonders of Milford Road and the many tracks, waterfalls and photo opportunities it presents and be back in Te Anau in time for dinner. Fingers crossed for a lovely day.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!