Search

Ayers Rock

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 08:08 AM
Jean

Ayers Rock

Does the Australian government still allow tourists to climb Ayers Rock? If so,under what conditions and scheduling?

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 03:02 PM
Jen

You can, as of this writing in August 1999, climb the rock. But it is extremely dangerous and climbing it means you will miss the point of it as a sacred place to the Aboriginals. The national or state govt doesn't control it, and the Aboriginals request/prefer that you do not. People do get hurt and die falling off the very steep incline, and it saddens the locals deeply to have people get hurt at their sacred space. From a tourist's perspective, I think it shows a lack of consideration for another people's sacred/religious space, to treat Ayers Rock as a playland. <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 12:17 PM
Nigel Doran

I decided to walk around the rock whilst some other members of my group climbed it, even though our guide, who was not Aboriginal, told them about the offence they would cause. I believe walking around was better, as I got to see and feel and experience the huge size of the rock, and also was able to share the experience with other like-minded travellers and my partner. It took a fair while, but was worth it. <BR>I believe that all trips to the rock are scheduled for very early in the morning before it gets hot. We got there before 5 a m. <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 02:17 PM
Michael

Climbing the rock is not dangerous at all, you have a greater chance of getting hit by a car crossing the road than getting hurt on the Rock. The preference of the Aboriginal owners of the site is that you do not climb the rock out of respect for what they see as a sacred site. In fact if you had to choose whether to climb or to walk around the rock you should choose the guided tour around the base as it is much more interesting and is consistent in respecting the Aboriginal wishes. Having said all that the great majority of people who visit the rock with the intent of climbing it still climb it once there. <BR>Rgds <BR>Michael

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 09:00 AM
Denise

Climbing the rock is still ok but as the others have said, it really is disrespectful of the Aboriginal people to do so. You must be very, very fit if you chose to climb and if it is raining (unlikely) it will be closed. I think you will get more out of it it you take the Aboriginal tour around the rock and have them explain their beliefs.