Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Best place to visit? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/best-place-to-visit-209475/)

Jennifer Nov 21st, 2001 11:55 PM

Best place to visit?

I'm from the U.S. staying in Melbourne (I've posted here before). <BR><BR>We are considering travelling to Sydney, etc. (?) the week after Christmas. (I know this is a bad time but this is the only time we can get away.)<BR><BR>We were thinking of staying in Sydney for a few days and then driving to a beach area for several days. Does anyone have any ideas of places to visit?<BR><BR>Also any other ideas are appreciated. We have considered everywhere imagineable from Queensland, Perth, Tasmania, NZ, etc. Any ideas for the week would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Jennifer

LizF Nov 22nd, 2001 11:45 AM

If you are in Melbourne now and have a car then I would go over to Tasmania on the Ferry. Tassie will not be rushed or overpacked and it is a lovely place anytime of the year - especially Hobart. Be there for the Sydney to Hobart boat race to finish at the docks. <BR>Its a full day drive - and some to Sydney and everything will be packed. You could consider a weekend trip to Sydney at a later date - that is not expensive and you can get accommodation in the package. <BR>Qweensland is 2 days drive from Melbourne so if you have a week then 4 days of it would be driving. <BR>I think the car ferry to Tasmania goes at night so you don't miss anything and then you can have some leisurely fun for the whole week.<BR>If you were not driving then I would suggest coming up to Queensland but not otherwise ( even though we would love to have you )

Jennifer Nov 22nd, 2001 04:37 PM

Hi Liz,<BR><BR>Thanks for your response. We were considering flying to Sydney from Melbourne, renting a car and then driving to a beach area after spending a few days in Melbourne. Sorry I didn't make myself clear!<BR><BR>Tasmania does sound nice. We have considered Queensland but I don't tolerate heat very well for long periods of time and it would seem we would be outdoors most of the time in a beach area. Of course, again, any ideas are appreciated. <BR><BR>I will returning to the States in January, so trying to fit some things in before then. We are doing the Great Ocean Road starting today and staying in Port Campbell and will see the 12 Apostles, etc.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Jennifer

LizF Nov 22nd, 2001 08:19 PM

Heavens! apart with my lack of editing and resultant typos in my last email I am surprised you understood anything I tried to say. <BR><BR>I would be surprised if we, in Queensland, will be very hot at that time of the year. Melbourne is a much hotter place in summer than here on the coast of southern Qld actually. We average about 28 degrees temps with a sea breeze. <BR>The reason I didn't follow through with the idea of Sydney is that the place will be packed around any beach area at that time of year - for that matter so will we here in Queensland and thats why I thought of Tasmania. With a population of only 400,000 there are vast areas that you can get away from everyone there. Also you can just about guarantee that the weather will be milder. <BR>Its funny in Australia but the southern cities get a lot hotter than in Queensland. We usually stay reasonably mild but get slightly more humidity. Before I get jumped on by some southern folks - I have lived in Melbourne in a summer, I lived in Perth for 7 years and I was born in Sydney. Anywhere in and around Sydney at that time of year will be packed.

David Nov 23rd, 2001 10:31 PM

When we lived in Melbourne we often drove to Sydney. There are some great beach spots on the South Coast of NSW. Our particular favourite was Bermagui, but places like Tathra, Merrimbula, Pambula are all good. Because it is the south coast it may not be as busy as Syney, the Central Coast or the North Coast of NSW. Also it would fit with either driving to or from Sydney.

marg Nov 25th, 2001 01:26 AM

I agree with David. The country and beaches south of Sydney are really lovely. Our particular favourites are Narooma, Bateman's Bay and Merimbula. There are lots of motels along the route and even though it will be Christmas holidays, you should be able to get in somewhere. The motel chains will book ahead for you. <BR>In the past we have found that a lot of major hotels in capital cities reduce their rates over the Christmas period as business travel is considerably reduced. Ask the NSW travel bureau in Melbourne if they have a list of special prices. For example, the Accor hotel chain had an advert in the travel section of the Melbourne Sun on Friday 23 Nov with some good rates.

anne Nov 27th, 2001 06:50 PM

Tasmania does sound good, and the yachts are something to see. You could also consider the north coast, anywhere from Sydney up is beautiful (Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour) Any further North and you start running into some pretty hot and humid weather (sorry Queensland!). Better still, south of Sydney is an option, amazing views as you drive into Woollongong, Kiama, also Jervis Bay is beautiful. You could then return via inland stopping at some quaint towns like Bowral and Moss Vale etc.