Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Best Place in the World (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/best-place-in-the-world-118544/)

Jen Apr 17th, 2001 06:37 AM

Best Place in the World

My family and I (husband and kids 13,15) are thinking about vacation next year and we want to go somewhere really special. We want to know what the BEST PLACE YOU'VE EVER BEEN IS? <BR>and why? Thanks.

Mike Apr 17th, 2001 11:17 PM

G'day Jen, <BR>it'll really depend mainly on what your interests are, <BR>cities, culture, history, touristy themeparks, nature and great outdoors? <BR> <BR>We have it all here in OZ, even if white man's history here only goes back a couple of houndred years, our Aboriginal culture goes back over 40,000 years. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR>Mike

holly Apr 19th, 2001 09:03 PM

Hi Jen, <BR> New Zealand is a fantastic holiday destination as it is extremely small and the scenery is so diverse, from beaches to rain forest, snow-capped mountains to thermal mud pools all withen a few hours drive from each other. <BR>The low NZ$ makes it an extremely cheap destination at the moment...well worth looking into!

John Apr 20th, 2001 08:54 AM

Jen: <BR>Since you titled your inquiry "Best Place In The World", I recommend Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. It's located in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains and the kids will love it. Has everything. I've been to Australia and New Zealand several times as well as Europe, South America, Bermuda and Hawaii and most of the States. While I prefer the South Pacific, I think your kids will enjoy Dollywood and all that Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg have to offer. <BR>John

De Anna Apr 20th, 2001 11:01 AM

Hi, Jen! <BR> <BR>Well, it's an interesting question you've asked. Looking back at the places I've been so far -- Oahu, Maui, Kauaii, Spain, Morrocco, Columbia (SA), and different places throughout the US, I would say my fav was our honeymoon in Maui. Very peaceful and beautiful. <BR> <BR>BUT if you'd asked me 13 years ago when I was 16 and my parents took our family to Oahu and Kauaii, I think my answer would have been Oahu. There is a lot to do there to keep active teens busy. Maui is more relaxing, with less activities going on. Oahu offers parasailing, snorkeling, and all those other fun beach activities. <BR> <BR>I should mention that as a teen I HATED Kauaii, as I didn't have the maturity to appreciate the rain-forest like climate there. Rather I was only worried about sun and beach. <BR> <BR>What I'm trying to say is that your teens may have a completely different idea of what paradise is than you do. But for a family vacation, I think Oahu can make everyone happy. <BR> <BR>De Anna

lucy Apr 22nd, 2001 09:32 PM

we've taken our kids all over, and two places are their favorites. They are 13 and 16 at the moment. <BR>1. flying U horse ranch in 70mile House, British Columbia. It is about 4 hours drive north-east from Vancouver. You stay in little cabins with pot bellied stoves and a rocking chair on the porch. A saddled horse, a map of the countryside and all meals are included. You can just ride horses where ever you want, all on your own. There's a lake with canoes, and a big hall to hang out in, and they have music some nights, talent shows if there are lots of school groups, etc. <BR>Our second and my personal favorite is Japan. It is safe, easy to travel on trains, and so different that you don't even need to understand the heritage and history to really enjoy it (although it helps). We were there most recently in June..favorite cities: Kyoto, Nara, Takayama, and Kanazawa. It is expensive, but unforgetable.

scurry Apr 23rd, 2001 02:56 PM

<BR>As an American who lived in Australia from 15-18 years old, I think it'd be hard to beat a trip to Sydney, the Gold Coast & the great barrier reef of Queensland.

jim mathews May 9th, 2001 06:04 PM

Hi Jen <BR> <BR>Cape Town and Bali are the best with the hiking area of Pokhara in Nepal a definite close second.

ggg Jul 16th, 2001 09:23 AM

up up up

jeff Jul 21st, 2001 03:17 PM

Because of the kids - Australia - beaches, the Great Barrier Reef, the weirdest animals in the world, great people, plus some amusement parks to solve the homesickness

Mahalo2 Sep 17th, 2005 04:46 PM

The Great Barrier Reef, Australia - We live near Washington, D.C and vacation on Heron Island on the reef every chance we get. They are VERY family friendly - they have all kinds of activities for all ages, and many are on land (like the chess games (with pieces that are 2 feet tall) and the the morning talks from the Science Research Center, and the low tide reef walks and the....and the..more than I can recount. The kids have age appropriate activities and 7 year olds are not combined with 15 year olds. Because it is a small island, kids can't get TOO lost if they wander out on their own, and if they are in a Heron-Island managed group, you know where and when to meet them.
It is mostly all inclusive except scuba &amp; alcohol - which are available at an additional cost. We were there again in April 05 and there was something for every one. One observation - take seriously the warning that the Catamaran folks may give you (to get from Gladstone to Heron Island) if the seas are rough. Take Dramamine with you if you are prone to seasickness - or take the more expensive alternative - the helicopter which is wonderful if your purse allows! Most times the seas have been calm and we had no problems; this last time, I was seasick for the first time ever - we were in 10 foot swells. YUCK!
Either way, take more film than you think you wil need in this life time, and let each child &quot;record&quot; his or her trip along with a small personal diary.
Happy trails! Debbie
Feel free to email me if you want more info: [email protected] Debbie

RalphR Sep 24th, 2005 05:54 AM

I second Mahalo2's endorsement of Heron Island. It is a wonderful destination both for families and for couples (myself having been there in both situations) and a superb place to experience the Great Barrier Reef. We've taken our kids to Heron at various ages and stages and they have always had an incredible time. We all want to go back yet again someday.

pykiwi Sep 24th, 2005 09:47 AM

So difficult to name only one place. I am from NZ and think that it is amazing but am biased do won't say NZ. I've travelled extensively and have such wonderful memories of everywhere I've been, but if I had to pick one place out of them all it would have to be Alaska. It totally blew my mind!

lizF Sep 24th, 2005 11:10 PM

Here is the best place in the World but I am not saying where that is 'cause you'd all want to come and that would change it and then it wouldn't be the best in the World.
The best place I have been in the world is different though - that would be a number of places for a number of reasons but they would rank thus:
1/ Petra
2/ Bariloche
3/ Sarlat
4/ Ushuaia
5/ St Petersburg
6/ Skagway
7/ Port Douglas/Cairns region
8/ Sydney
9/ Grand Canyon
10/Taos

Abby43 Sep 26th, 2005 08:05 AM

SYDNEY!!!! and then New Zealand and Whistler, BC.

Guenmai Oct 27th, 2005 04:44 PM

Since it's a family trip, I'd have to say New Zealand and Thailand. Happy Travels!

stevew Oct 28th, 2005 04:32 PM

What a challenging question!

For us, it would be about 60 to 130 feet below the surface in the Coral Sea; diving from the Spirit of Freedom out of Cairns

We have been to every state in the USA and several other countries.

Taking Liz's lead, this is the list in order of our 8 favorite vacations spots

1. South Island New Zealand (all of it)
2. Diving the Coral Sea and GBR (Cairns/PD)
3. Kodiak Alaska
4. Blue Mountains (sorry Liz)
5. Sydney
6. Grand Tetons/Yellow Stone
7. Big Island of Hawaii
8. Grand Canyon

Lyndie Oct 28th, 2005 05:16 PM

1. Sri Lanka - Garden of Eden
2. Argentina - the lakes and mountains around Bariloche
3. Chilean fjords on the Magellanes boat
4. Alaska-inside passage on the Matanuska ferry
5. Cape Leveque-West Aust-epitomises Oz for me.
6. Nacula Island, Fiji-paradise on earth
7. Mumbai, India appeals to every sense.
8. Angkor, Cambodia-gives me the shivers.
9. Nelson Bay, Australia-one visit and you'll be hooked too.
10. Sydney Harbour on a brilliant clear day.

ANUJ Oct 28th, 2005 08:51 PM

That would have to be, without doubt, South Island - New Zealand.

tropo Oct 28th, 2005 09:05 PM

Well everyone has submitted numerous places, and I would agree with each &amp; everyone. In fact, I think most places on this earth are the &quot;best&quot; at a given time, and what frame of mind you are in. Most places on this earth have some form of beauty and interest, we just need to look a bit deeper.
Some months ago, my wife &amp; I joined some friends for wine/cheese/nibblies on the beach at sunset. We set up a folding table &amp; chairs on the beach, and chatted until it was dark, now that was a &quot;best&quot; moment.