Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Best/ Most beautiful/scenic GrayLine Tours in Australia and NZ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which bus tours of GrayLine took you to the most beautiful and scenic places? They have so many and don't know what to choose? (Not necessarily wild life and animals, rather beautiful national parks, mountains, lakes, falls etc.)
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 10:05 AM

If you don't get any replies from anyone who has actually taken a GrayLine tour--which I have not, you might provide the links to two or three of the tours you are considering and ask for comments on the scenery you are likely to see on those tours. That would be something I, and perhaps others, would be willing to do.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 02:36 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Never been on Grayline, so no idea where they go, but I've self-driven to many places in Australia and through NZ about a dozen times.

longhorn makes a good suggestion. If you can tell us the options on Grayline, those of us who've driven those particular routes can comment on the scenery, etc.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:01 PM

I've only taken the coach trip from Sydney to Melbourne and from Sydney to the Gold Coast, years ago when I lived in Sydney and wanted to save money on these point-to-point trips, riding through the night. Not sure if it was Grayline but the same type of coach.

But I've been to many places over the years by many other means, so, as longhorn says, tell us what areas you're wondering about - whether you get there by Grayline or by other means matters less than whether they are places you would/should want to see, and whether Grayline gives you enough time to do so.

For example, I see the one-day tour and the two-day tour (with overnight in Lorne) for the Great Ocean Road out of Melbourne, and would definitely recommend the overnight.

So please be more specific and we'll see if we can help.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

are there any other tour bus companies like gray line in Australia or NZ?

Some of the gray line tours I was thinking about:

from melbourne- the great ocean road day tour.
what about the jenolan caves?

from sydney- blue mountain tour

from adelaide- 1-kangaroo island--is this worth it for scenery or is it mainly just wildlife, exotic animals? I prefer the former
2- Coorong Day tour

From tasmania- 1-cradle mountain day tour
2-Russel falls
3- tasman national park
4-huon valley

from alice spring- 1-uluru- is this worth it?
2-west mcdonnel ranges

from darwin- 1- kadaku national park
2-Katherine gorge cruise, edith falls
3-litchfield national park

In NZ:
from chrischurch-lake tekapo, lindis pass, queenstown

from milford sound- fiordland national park, milford sound

rotorua- is this similar to yellowstone national park?

thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Also, are any of these places accessible by bus, train, that we can do ourselves? which and how? We don't want to drive there.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM

There are few, if any, of these trips I would want to do as a day trip because there's so much to see and a day just isn't enough. But, if you aren't driving, you don't have much choice in a lot of these places.

Melbourne - GOR Day Trip - This is scenic, but I wasn't "Wow"'d by it when we drove it. I've seen equally or more scenic coastal drives in the U.S. But if this is an area you've always wanted to see, this day trip is not bad.

Sydney - Blue Mountains - This can be done by train from Sydney. No need for a special tour

Adelaide - Kangaroo Island - I went to KI on my first visit as a day trip (flying, not ferry). It actually turned out pretty well, but we got to see more of the island since we flew over from Adelaide. I think there will be more of an emphasis on wildlife on this tour as that's what most visitors go for.

Adelaide - Coorong -- I haven't been there, so can't comment.

Tasmania - While I have been there, we were there mostly for the history at Port Arthur and Richmond, so I can't comment on these tours.

Alice Springs - Uluru - I would hate to do that as a day tour because of the long drive each way. The scenery is interesting for an hour or two, but not for 6 hours each way. I do think Uluru is worth a visit, but you should allow at least 2 nights there. You could fly there and then take tours to Uluru and Kata Tjuta or take the Uluru Express (a shuttle you pay to ride) to take you to those places. This is a place that can be visited without having to drive.

Alice Springs - West McDonnel Ranges - I haven't been there, so I can't comment.

Darwin - Kakadu NP -- A long day, but one in which you should see some very nice scenery. I think this would be a good tour.

Darwin -- Katherine Gorge, Edith Falls -- Again, a very long day, but more fabulous scenery. Both of these places are favorites of mine. If you don't mind the long ride, I think this would be a good tour.

Dariwn -- Litchfield NP -- One of my favorite places in the Northern Territory. The waterfalls, natural pools and termite mounds are well worth seeing. A good place to go for scenery.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM

Also, AAT Kings is another tour company in Australia. You might check out their offerings.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 08:22 PM

<from milford sound- fiordland national park, milford sound>

Queenstown-Te Anau-Milford Sound and return is a very popular bus tour in NZ. It combines a bus and a cruise on Milford Sound. I just recently did it from Te Anau-Milford and return. Although I've self-driven to Milford in the past, weather and potentially bad road conditions convinced me to take the bus this time. It's definitely worthwhile, especially on a pretty day.

If you leave from QT it's an extremely loooong day - something like 13 hours, eight of which are on a bus. Leaving from Te Anau will cut that down to about 6-7, only four of which are on the bus.

It's easy enough to self-drive too, and I'd recommend that over the bus any day.

<rotorua- is this similar to yellowstone national park?>

On a much smaller scale yes. If you've been to Yellowstone, Rotorua will probably be a let down. It was for me anyway.

Why not self-drive? You can see so much more if you self-drive.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 09:27 PM

For the Jenolan caves which I recommend strongly, you can simply take a train to Katoomba and take the bus that waits for the train passengers to take you to Jenolan caves. Read up on this site, it says which train you need to take for that connection, and also think about which cave you wish to visit - they are all different, some are more strenuous and take longer: www.jenolancaves.org.au

You’ll need a warm jacket, preferably long pants, and good walking shoes.

Why not driving?

In Tasmania - which I also recommend strongly - you get so much more out of it if you fly to Hobart, visit Port Arthur (which you can do by bus), then rent a car and drive to Strahan and Queenstown and Cradle Mountain, maybe elsewhere, like the north coast (Penguin etc.) and relinquish the car in Launceston from where you can fly out. Give that drive a few days and be happy on your own terms!

If you decide to use Grayline for the GOR, as already mentioned, choose the two-day version of the tours.
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks.
I don't want to drive on the opposite side, never did it before and we don't like driving in general.

Has anyone else visited the places I listed and can comment too?
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 04:51 PM

I've visited the places you mention in VIC, TAS and NZ, but can't comment about the bus as we always self-drive.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

can you tell me about those places- which you really liked- which places were the most beautiful and scenic, and which not as much?
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM

Well, loved most everything about TAS and the South Island of NZ (been there a dozen times now and still not tired of it).

Not a big fan of the North Island of NZ so much. Disappointed in Rotorua as we've been to Yellowstone many times. There's just no comparison. If it's Maori culture you want though, Rotorua is the place.

A bit disappointed in the GOR. I think the coastline near Esperance (Western Australia) blows GOR out of the water. It's not a place I'd go out of my way for. Much better coastline elsewhere.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 02:33 AM

We went to the Blue Mountains by train and very much enjoyed it. If you have the MyMulti transportation pass for Sydney the train fare is covered and you can go as far along the route as you like. You could stay in Leura or Katoomba and get the hop on hop off bus to take you to the major sites. Great scenery, and lots of hiking in the area.

Have you considered the train?

Don't know why Fodorites insist on trying to talk people into things they have expressly said they don't want to do. If you don't want to drive, don't drive.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

I would take train if it goes to any of the scenic places.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

is coorong scenic?
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 01:30 PM

Is Coorong scenic? Yes - after a fashion.

Google some pics of it. It's more about wildlife, especially birds.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 03:07 PM

I have taken buses, trains, and planes on one trip to Australia and two to NZ. We only drove car once out from Canberra to see the kangaroos and duck-billed platapus, but that is not your interest.

Took train Sydney - Blue Mountains (with partial bus because of track maintenance that day). We thought OK but not dramatic scenery.

In NZ:
I don't remember my exact routes, but I think I took a bus from Christchurch (maybe transfer to shuttle van) to go to Mt Cook. The first part of the route is not dramatic, but I love snow capped mountains, so loved Mt Cook and the approach from Lake Tekapo.

I took a bus across the island to Te Anau and again, not too scenic until close to destination. Nice setting. Scenic drive over the pass to Milford Sound. I am one of the few people who was underwhelmed with the boat on the sound. After two trips to Norway, I now understand that I love being up on the top of mountains to see the view down over the fjords with the mountains surrounding. Something about being at the bottom looking up just isn't as inspiring for me; (I found that to be true for me in Utah as well--prefer Canyonlands to Zion, for example.) Also, if you have been on the fjords in Norway, Milford Sound is not as dramatic.

Rotorua- much smaller than Yellowstone. I have twice enjoyed a visit to the site where one can combine a walk through the geologic features, artists' workshop, and Maori cultural show. But it is not the scale of Yellowstone.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

kay, which bus company did you take to mt cook and te anau?
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -