Benefits of living in Australia or New Zealand?

Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Benefits of living in Australia or New Zealand?

I'm trying to decide where to go for teacher's college next year..my options are England, Wales, New Zealand, or Australia.. the problem is that I don't know much about these places, and if I'm going to be living in one of them for a year I want to choose the place I know I would like best! If anyone could help me out with advice as to how living is in any of these places (either the country of specific cities), I would greatly appreciate it!

my options are:

Exeter, England
Swansea, Wales
Carmarthen, Wales
Aberystwyth, Wales
Bangor, Wales
Cardiff, Wales
Newport, Wales
Wellington, New Zealand
Hamilton, New Zealand
Dunedin, New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Lismore, Australia
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:32 AM

While Auckland is a very attractive city and Christchurch is my favourite city in N.Z, I would definitely choose, out of those listed, to live in Brisbane for a year. Great climate, casual lifestyle and a terrific opportunity to see more of Australia.
Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM

Couldn't agree more Downunder
Dec 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM

Tough choice to make. Kind of depends on where you live now and what things you like to do. All three countries have so much to offer. Australia - huge, wild, varied climate and terrain, vibrant cities, exotic wildlife, great climate (generally), great beaches. New Zealand - stunning mountain scenery, fiords, glaciers, skiing, hot springs, volcanoes. England/Wales: London (a top world city), history, castles, cathedrals, pubs, beautiful countryside (despite the huge population), lovely coastline south and west, proximity to Europe.

I think Christchurch would be my pick in NZ, certainly over Auckland. But then again anywhere in NZ would be great for a year, in my opinion.

Queensland, Australia is a state nearly the size of Alaska, not a city. Is a particular place in Queensland you are referring to besides Brisbane, which is also in Queensland? I agree Brisbane has a great climate, probably the best year-round of the major cities in Australia. Plus southeastern Queensland is a beautiful place with fantastic beaches, mountains inland, wildlife etc. Lismore is not too far from Brisbane, just a town, quieter, inland, but not too far from the coast. It's in a very beautiful sub-tropical area, and I imagine it would be a good base for outdoorsy pursuits.

I lived in Devon, England for seven years (in addition to my 3 years in Australia) and am quite familiar with Exeter. It is a modest sized city in a beautiful part of England. Old buildings, a cathedral, and nearby, rolling countryside, nice beaches, quaint villages and Dartmoor, a high treeless area with nice walks and beautiful views.
Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM

Absolutely no advantage in living in Australia. You'll only want to stay so go somehwere else! ;-)
Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM

The biggest variation in the places you're looking at is going to be the weather.

England Wales and NZ are all going to be considerably cooler to cold and miserable in winter and especially if the school years you're looking at start in January/February, it'll be inclement weather you'll be looking at in UK or Wales whereas NZ will still be fine that time of year.

Queensland, Brisbane and Lismore in country NSW, what they call Northern Rivers region all have warm to hot summers with very moderate winters and spring/autumn being much like a UK/Wales summer.

So if you want one less winter in your life, head to Australia.
If you want to get into your head a lot of history to tell future students about head to UK/Wales.

And likewise if its big open spaces you want to see something of, then again come down under and you could first see the film Australia to get an inkling of what some of it is all about.