Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Backpacking through Australia (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/backpacking-through-australia-388734/)

krisandandge Jul 3rd, 2008 04:34 PM

Backpacking through Australia

My sister and I are traveling through Australia and New Zealand and we are going to be hoping around from city to city and don't know what to do about our luggage/backpacks. For example, we arrive in Brisbane at 6:10 am and cannot check into a hotel until about 12:00 pm, therefore we must carry our luggage around which is fine at that point. We were going to go sand surfing that day, spend the night in a hotel and then the next day go to the crocodile hunter zoo. So here is one issue... We have to check out of the hotel at 10:00 am, we were going to spend the day at the zoo (9:00 am to 4:30 pm) and then take the train to Sydney that night. So what do we do with our luggage during that time period? Do we spend money on an additional night at the hotel although we are not spending the night? Is renting an RV a good thing to do so that we always have our luggage? (I heard there is a lot of burglaries and there may not always be places to park the RV).

What is the best way to travel through the country if you are on the move all the time?

Bokhara2 Jul 3rd, 2008 05:05 PM

Your hotel will allow you to leave your luggage there before your room is ready and after you check out.

A rental car will allow you the flexibility you need between cities.

However, depending on where you're staying and how long you have, public transport may be the better option within the cities themselves.

In Sydney for instance, you would not need a car and the cost & inconvenience of parking it would far outweigh the benefits. If you want to do a day trip, just rent a car for that day.

You will not need a 4WD (RV) unless you are planning a trip to some rugged & isolated areas without sealed roads.

In Sydney, Bayswater Car Rentals in William Street are very good and inexpensive.

Australia Zoo http://www.australiazoo.com.au
has several options for transport if you don't particularly want to rent a car to get there. I probably would take a car though, because there are lots of interesting things around the Sunshine Coast to see.

Sarvowinner Jul 3rd, 2008 06:49 PM

Kris

I think by RV you are refering to a Recreational Vehicle such as a campervan or motor home? Ease of parking depends on the size. A Toyota Hi-Ace poptop or equivalent would have no problem with parking. I wouldn't go any larger if there is only two of you. Remember petrol is expensive.

In terms of security - just be sensible where you park it and don't leave valuables in plain sight.

You will get a lot more info on backpacking and renting cars etc. on Lonely Planet's Thorntree.

afterall Jul 4th, 2008 03:44 AM

Isn't hiring a vehicle just to have somewhere to put your luggage a bit bizarre? I mean, you're right, it's a problem if you're moving around a lot but there's usually a way.

As a rule hostels (and I assume hotels) will look after your bag for you both before you officially check in and after you check out. So go straight to the place you have booked in BRS when you arrive, and dump your bag.

Re visit to the zoo - are you going on an organised trip? If yes then you may be able to take the bag with you as long as it is a reasonable size. If not then you could take it with you on public transport. I'd be really surprised if Australia Zoo didn't see loads of folk everyday wanting to leave a pack while they visited. So they'll probably have the facilities for you to do just that. Why not email or ring and ask them?

Alternatively, leave the bag in a left luggage facililty at the station/bus station in BRS and pick it up before departing for Sydney.
Haven't been to BRS for a while but if I remember rightly they have an integrated transit hub at Roma St and there are bound to be lockers you can use there. You could do a google to check.

Cheers.

prue Jul 4th, 2008 04:35 PM

There are lockers at Roma Street Station.

krisandandge Jul 7th, 2008 07:25 AM

Thank you all for your help!