Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Ayers Rock temperature (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/ayers-rock-temperature-586359/)

plusone712 Jan 29th, 2006 05:34 PM

Ayers Rock temperature

What will the temperatures be like at Ayers Rock during late March, early April and will there still be lots of flies around? We were thinking of doing a 2 day outback camping tour and was wondering if it would be uncomfortable camping out during that time. Thanks in advance!

ALF Jan 29th, 2006 10:36 PM

Temperatures in late March to early April should range from 15C at night to 30C at mid-day (60F to 85F). I fear that there will indeed be blowflies at that time of year. We were there a couple of years ago in early May, and they were pretty bad. You should just be prepared with a headnet that goes around a wide-brimmed hat and covers enough not to let the little buggers get underneath the net. Unlike mosquitoes, blowflies are only bad in the middle part of the day, and will leave you alone before sunrise and after sunset. Camping should be fine, as temperatures will be reasonably cool at night, and there will be few flies then as well.

bhuty Jan 30th, 2006 06:14 PM

its not the temp but the humidity that gets you.

You should think of it in terms of not degrees but the numbers of shirts you'll wear in one day. Plan on each day being either a 2 shirt or a 3 shirt day. Night time can get cold so you'll need to be completely covered at night

Peteralan Jan 30th, 2006 06:37 PM

plusone, we were there at exactly that time and it was hot!! However the main worry was those flies..they are horrendous! We laughed on the first day seeing those ridiculous nets on people's hats but it didn't take long for us to see why! That said , it was one of the most memorable holidays I can remember. More than anything , TAKE PLENTY OF WATER WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO ANYWHERE!!! Have fun!

SecondxtheCharm Jan 31st, 2006 06:53 AM

At the risk of sounding really stupid, will the same conditions be in effect when we go in late Feb (19-21)? We're expecting heat (we're from Washington DC so humidity is something we're very much used to) but we're wondering if the flies will be unbearable. Thanks for your advice!

ALF Jan 31st, 2006 11:39 AM

February will definitely be darned hot, mid-day temps could exceed 100F. Contrary to what is written above, expect very LOW humidity, more like the U.S. desert Southwest. I've been in D.C. in August, and I would much rather be at Uluru in February! There will be flies, but my impression is that they get worse in the Spring.

bhuty Jan 31st, 2006 05:10 PM

go to http://www.bom.gov.au/

you can get all the averages for every month plus credible forecasts.

I lived IN alice, Katerine and adelaide. If you look at the averages for each of these areas you'll notice not much difference (seemingly) but 34 degrees in alice will more than likely be a 3 shirt day; in Katherine 2 shirts and in adelaide 1 shirt. In Darwin 4 shirts because you'll need one after it rains at 3pm.

Thats all I know.

SecondxtheCharm Feb 1st, 2006 07:22 AM

Thanks for your advice! I laughed at the # of shirts we'll need -- we're already worried about the luggage/laundry situation!

As for the flies -- is there a product you can recommend that will help repel them? Is it something we can buy in the States beforehand, or should we wait until we get there? (is the hat with the mesh the best route to go?)

ALF Feb 1st, 2006 11:47 AM

Skin repellents don't seem to work very well. The real issue is that you don't want them on your face and neck. If they crawl on the rest of you, it isn't that bothersome, as they don't bite like mosquitoes. Because blowflies are so big, you can use a mesh that is pretty coarse-woven so it doesn't obstruct your vision much. I have tried various headnets, but they can get hot and cumbersome. That is why I would recomment a simple net that goes on over a brimmed hat.

Carol212 Feb 1st, 2006 02:53 PM

I will be in Ayers Rock & Alice Springs Feb 11 through Feb 15th. Are the flies there then and if so where do you get this hat net thing. Also does anyone know if it better to take a bus from Ayers to Alice or should I fly. If the scenery is worth seeing the bus is the way to go but if not, why waste the time.