Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Australia: Where to See Lots of Wildlife (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/australia-where-to-see-lots-of-wildlife-925191/)

fluffnfold Feb 24th, 2012 11:12 AM

Australia: Where to See Lots of Wildlife

My spouse and I are planning a trip to Australia in August or September of 2012. We have about 2.5 weeks, and will definitely visit Sydney as well as some location on the northeastern coast (so that we can enjoy both the Great Barrier Reef and the rainforest). We'll probably also stop in Uluru/Ayers Rock (see my other recent post if you have strong opinions on that location). It sounds like Kangaroo Island is somewhere that I definitely want to see, because seeing wildlife is a top priority for me. But getting to Kangaroo Island doesn't seem all that easy - it sounds like we would have to overnight in Adelaide both going to and coming from KI. (We would probably fly versus taking the ferry, and we would probably stay on KI for 2 nights.) Is Kangaroo Island a must-see for me if I must see koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, and penguins? Or is there somewhere else on the eastern coast that offers a similar experience? Thanks.

Susan7 Feb 24th, 2012 11:48 AM

I'd go to Tasmania if wildlife is a priority: fly into Launceston and drive to Cradle Mountain. There you will see echidna, wombats, poteroo, wallabies, platypus (if you are lucky). The reports on Kangaroo Island are mixed, I haven't been myself, but do a search using the box above.

A good place to see koalas is north of Sydney, Port Stephens. The Taronga Park zoo is probably your best bet to see all those animals together. Including things you may not have on your list like bilbies and pygmy possums.

luvtravl Feb 24th, 2012 03:34 PM

We went to Kangaroo Island a couple of years ago during a trip including Sydney, Melbourne, Great Ocean Road, Grampians, KI and Flinders Ranges (Wilpena Pound). Despite it's name, we only saw one kangaroo in 5 nights on KI. We did see wallabies, possums, echidna, seals and blue penguins. I enjoyed KI but my favorite place was the Grampians. We saw mobs of kangaroos, lots of emus and flocks and flocks of birds. Cape Otway is a good place to see koalas.

AlanJG Feb 24th, 2012 06:32 PM

All the places you have mentioned are great for wildlife.

As you want to visit the reef can I suggest that somewhere near Cairns is the base for you as then you can visit the Atherton Tablelands. Most people mean mammals when they say wildlife and here on the Tablelands one could expect to see Platypus, 4-6 species of macropods (kangaroos), and 4 -6 species of possums in a day and evening with a competent guide. Do not forget that many of our mammals are nocturnal or at least crepuscular. AS well as the mammals we have wonderful diversity on other phyla should you be interested.

RalphR Feb 25th, 2012 09:15 AM

I like luvtravl's ideas a lot. Fly to Melbourne and take one week to see the Great Ocean Rd, Cape Otway and the Grampians. Doing the same trip myself this November.

marg Feb 25th, 2012 06:36 PM

If you do the Great Ocean Road, then look for kangeroos at Anglesea golf course. We have seen emus, kangeroos, koalas, echnidas etc at the Grampians (plus great scenery). Mt Eccles (just north of Port Ferry) usually has lots of koalas.
Tower Hill (an extinct volcano just a tad west of Warrnambool)usually has kangeroos and emus. In Port Fairy ask if and where you can see the mutton birds.

shandy Feb 28th, 2012 12:30 AM

You also have a good chance of seeing koalas at Wye River, just off the GOR. Turn off and to the left onto a steep road which starts off basically parallel to the GOR and keep a sharp look out. You need to walk it, you will never spot them in the car.

Healesville Sanctuary makes a nice 1/2 day or full day trip out of Melbourne which is a zoo which only has native Australian animals. It is done in a bush setting rather than a zoo setting. It is not the same as spotting them in the wild, but at least you can be sure you have had to chance to see them if you miss out during your travels as no one can guarantee that you will spot them in the wild. As apart from our birdlife, our marsupials are rather drab in colour and, especially with the smaller ones, it can be quite possible to be looking straight at one without even noticing it.