Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Australia: Small Hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/australia-small-hotels-33360/)

Caroline Oct 14th, 1998 06:25 AM

Australia: Small Hotels?

I am looking for a small romantic hotel in Australia with the character of the country and one that is also affordable (doubles starting around $150). I have never been to Australia and so I don't even know where the best area to visit is but I am looking for a quaint area and not a big city. Any suggestions?

Richard Krause Oct 14th, 1998 12:02 PM

Caroline, <BR> <BR>My wife and I just returned from 3 weeks in Australia. The BEST accommodations we had was at Stranraer Homestead Bed and Breakfast on Kangaroo Island (Phone 8 8553 8235, FAX 8 8553 8226). <BR> <BR>Cost: Australian $130/night (A$1 = US$.60)and this includes breakfast. <BR> <BR>Bedrooms: 4 (one private bath and one guest share bath) Best bedroom is Room No. 2 because it is on the corner of the house, the guest drawing room is across the hall and the guest bathroom is right next door. (Normally I do not like to have a room without an ensuite bathroom, however few people know of this homestead and we were the only guests on September 8th.) <BR> <BR>WHY SO SPECIAL - <BR> 1. The whole house was appointed with extremely good taste. Very elegant. Cry your heart out Martha Stewart. <BR> 2. Each bedroom has a fireplace. <BR> 3. Queen sized beds <BR> 4. Home is non-smoking. <BR> 5. Owners Graham and Lyn are fantastic. <BR> a. Graham will pick you up at the airport, or you can follow him to the homestead in your rental car. <BR> b. Lyn makes an excellent breakfast, and will gladly prepare dinner for you. Need a lunch basket the next day, then Lyn will make one fantastic lunch with silverware, china, etc. included. <BR> c. Want to see kangaroos in the wild, then Graham will take you to where they are. <BR> d. Want to see koalas, then Graham and Lyn will tell you where to go or they will take you there. <BR> <BR> 6. Want civilization, drive to Kingscote in about 30 minutes. <BR> <BR> 7. Want to have an imaginatively prepared kangaroo fillet, etc. drive about 45 minutes west and have dinner at Tandanya [Con Whale will send you the menu (Phone 8 8559 7275, FAX 8 8559 7377). Note: Was not open when we were on K.I., but should be now. His menu looked great!] <BR> <BR> 8. History of Stranraer Homestead - Built by Graham's grandfather in 1920 from limestone gathered on the property. It was and still is a working property with 1290 hectares producing prime lamb, wool and grain. <BR> <BR>Caroline, if you need any other info on the homestead or about what we saw in Australia, just send me an E-mail message. <BR> <BR>Dick <BR>P.S. - Want to feel the wind blowing through your hair, then take a helicopter ride over the Bungle Bungles. <BR>(No doors on the helicopter for great views of the Bungles.) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Caroline Oct 20th, 1998 06:15 AM

Richard, <BR><BR> <BR><BR>Thank you for the wonderful advice. This Bed and Breakfast sounds perfect. I am going to check into it. Thanks again!

Jean LeLoup Dec 19th, 2000 09:04 PM

I've always loved a nice, romantic hotel.

Dick Dec 20th, 2000 04:52 AM

Caroline, <BR> <BR>I'm not sure if you mean $150 in USD or AD. If it's $150 USD I know of a great place. <BR> <BR>My wife and I stayed at a fabulous B & B about 2 hours south of Sydney. The area was reccomended to us by a Sydney native when we told her that we wanted a place to stay for a day or two between arriving in OZ from the States and taking a flight up to the reef. She said the area is little know outside OZ but is well known as a Sydneysider weekend getaway location. <BR> <BR>The Woodbyne Guest House (http://www.woodbyne.com.au/) was absolutely elegant...first class accomodations,,,beatiful grounds, art gallery and a decadent breakfast served by the pool.

Anna Jan 5th, 2001 02:38 AM

It may be slightly above your budget (depending on time of year), but the Sebel Reef House in Palm Cove (between Cairns & Port Douglas) is wonderfully romantic. <BR> <BR>Echoes Guest House in the Blue Mountains is also excellent, perched right on the edge of the cliff, overlooking the 3 Sisters.

bella Jan 9th, 2001 03:49 PM

Yes to Echoes in Katoomba....nice views of the sandstone escarpment, proximity to nature walks, lovely rooms and special meals if desired. The Blue Mts (hills to most people) is a popular escape area from Sydney which is a couple of hours trainride away.