Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Australia or Europe in summer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/australia-or-europe-in-summer-496254/)

coolcamden Jan 17th, 2005 10:51 PM

Australia or Europe in summer?

Been to both several times each. Planning our summer vacation and want your thoughts. Airfares to Eur is cheaper than OZ, but the dollar is better in relation to the Australian dollar than the Euro, and cost of everything is much cheaper in OZ, which'll make up for the airfares.

BTW, what's the typical temperatures in OZ in July/Aug.?

Europe will be London, Paris, Venice, Rome.
Australia will be the Eastern half.

lizF Jan 18th, 2005 12:53 AM

Temps during that time will range from minus 10 Celcius to 32 above and everything in between.

RalphR Jan 18th, 2005 05:14 AM

Expect mostly very pleasant to quite warm weather from about Coffs Harbor in New South Wales and north. The further north you go, the warmer it is. North Queensland it a great destination in July/Aug - highs around 30C

Neil_Oz Jan 18th, 2005 01:00 PM

coolcamden, If you've already been several times to both continents you should have a reasonable basis for comparison. You don't say what your main interests are either, but imply that cost is the only or at least main factor. So I'm at a bit of a loss to work out what you're asking here, other than the question about weather, which is detailed on sites like Weatherbase.

coolcamden Jan 18th, 2005 09:09 PM

Hm, Ah, Neil, great question. I do have a good idea on all these places. We'll take our 11 year old for his first overseas trip. And I'm sure we can find things to do for all of us the whole time. Hmmm... I guess I was looking for a few complete strangers to make decisions for me, without knowing me at all. :-))

Alan Jan 18th, 2005 09:47 PM

If I were taking an eleven-year-old on his first overseas trip, I'd choose Europe over Australia, even though most of Europe is VERY hot in July/August (for that matter, much of Australia is very cold and/or windy at that time, so you haven't got a clear winner in climate, either). The days in July in Australia are short -- it's getting dark around 5 or 5:30; in Europe, you will have an extra four hours to enjoy the light. In Europe, your son will experience a variety of cultures, foreign languages, and currencies. And, historically, Europe wins hands down. I wouldn't hesitate on this one.... since you have seen both locales, you'll focus a lot on showing the best to your son, and I bet if you made a short list of the best in Europe and the best in eastern Australia, the Europe list would be considerably longer!

Your son would love Australia in the spring or summer -- the blue seas, the yellow beaches, the laid-back summer lifestyle. Save Australia for a better time of year -- say, between October and April!

Whichever you choose.... your son is a lucky young man!

africa_lover Jan 18th, 2005 10:45 PM

Hi coolcamden,

I'd like to correct Alan on the fact that Europe is VERY HOT during summer.
If that only were true!
I live in Belgium (in between London and Paris) and if you are lucky , temperatures will rise above 20°C.
Two years ago we had a fantastic summer(july and august), but last year, we praised ourselves lucky with 2 warm (above 20°C) weeks.
Italy, Spain and Portugal on the other hand, might be pretty warm.
Hilde

coolcamden Jan 19th, 2005 08:18 AM

Thank you all for replies. Hilde- A summer 2 years ago in London, It rained and was colder than January in the S.F. Bay Area. Last year my wife and I rented bikes and rode from Brugges to the Netherlands, and we were icicles when we got there.

For this trip to Europe, we figured London will be London, and hoping that Paris and Italy will be warm/hot.

I haven't been to OZ in its winter. Went to Syd/Port Douglas/Alice Springs/Adelaide/Mel in May a few years ago, and it was nice.

coolcamden Jan 19th, 2005 08:19 AM

Alan, Thanks very much. I hadn't thought about the additional time that Europe has over Australia. Very good point.