Australia Itinerary

Feb 18th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Australia Itinerary

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if my post is a little redundant, I've been looking at all the posts and have seen some like this, but I just want to make sure that I'm planning this trip right. I'm 21, going on a two week spring break trip with 2 other students from March 17-March 28th, if you have any input into my itinerary I would really appreciate it!

3/20 Arrive in Sydney at 10 am. Staying in the Beachhouse on Manly Beach. We plan on spending the day at the beach b/c of jet lag, we will nap while on the beach, is this a good plan or a bad plan?
3/21 Go to the Rocks, Sydney Opera House, the
Botanical Gardens, Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Museum of Sydney. See Tosca at the Opera House
3/22 The Aquarium, Powerhouse Museum, Chinese Garden, Hyde Park, Taronga Zoo, Aus. Museum-Nat His
3/23 Bondi Beach. Fly to Cairns in the afternoon. Stay at the Traveller's Oasis in Cairns.
3/24 Wavelength GBR tour
3/25-3/26 Undara Lava Tubes--is it worth it to do the overnight trip?
3/27 (Easter Sunday) We were hoping to do a rainforest tour, but not sure if anything will be open on Easter Sunday?
3/28 Extra day, thinking of doing the Kuranda Skyrail
Going to Cairns airport late that night, flying home at 130 am on 3/29

Does this all sound reasonable? We have to travel on a budget, but I also don't know when I'll get back so I want to do as much as we can. I'm traveling with two boys who just told me to plan the trip, their only input thus far has been that they want to hold koalas, which isn't that helpful obviously, so any suggestions or changes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Feb 18th, 2005, 08:42 PM

Hi there,

I think you have planned very well. We see too many travellers who think that Australia could be seen in one day. Please remember though that while you have given your self sufficient time, there are still a lot of areas that you could maybe plan for the next trip.

Regards,

Vincent Borg
Tourist Australia
Feb 19th, 2005, 01:18 AM

Hi - sounds excellent. My only thought would be re those last 4 days in Cairns. I have never been to Undara Lava Tubes so I can't pontificate on how they may or may not be a more Australian experience, or just more mind blowing than the Daintreee Rainforest. I just feel sure there must be a way of combining a visit to them with other locations, and then no need to worry about Easter Sunday.

After a very quick trawl I found:

http://backpackertours.com.au/shop2/...roducts_id/139

It's a 3 day 4wd trip. doesn't go to the Daintree, but does sound interesting.

There will be other combination trips out there somewhere.

Have the most amazing time but don't get too much sun, especially on that first day. Slap on that sunscreen!
Feb 19th, 2005, 02:05 AM

Hi, 05dml!

It's a great itinerary, and the only change I would suggest is on 3/22. You have really tried to fit too much into this day. The Aquarium, the Powerhouse Museum, and the Chinese Gardens are all clustered close together at Darling Harbour, but from there ir's two ferry rides (change at Circular Quay) to the zoo, and the zoo is big enough to need a half-day all of its own. I suggest that you leave the zoo for the following morning (and also do Hyde Park on the same day as you're doing the Museum.... they are right next to each other) -- zoos are nicer and fresher in the mornings anyway, and there are fewer people there -- and give Bondi Beach a miss. I know Bondi is an Australian icon, but, frankly, it's no better than Manly Beach, and if you're staying at Manly, to take a trip (not all that short, either) out to Bondi just to look at its "twin" would seem a waste of time.

If you got to the zoo at nine o'clock (by bus from Manly to Mosman, then change buses), you'd be all finished there by noon. Does that give you enough time to get to your afternoon flight to Cairns? I don't know how you'll manage that with your bags, but I guess you have that all worked out, as the same problem would apply if you went from Manly to Bondi and then on to Cairns.

Have a great time!
Feb 19th, 2005, 02:39 AM

Do you mean the beachhouse YHA?
If so, it is at Collaroy which is about 20-30 minutes north of manly.

Now Collaroy is a great place (and you will have a lot of fun at the surf rock cafe) but is NOT in manly which is a bit livelier in terms of meeting backpackers from all around the world.
Feb 19th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Hi o5dml - your plan is pretty well
thought out and can only echo Alans comments re one day in Sydney (22/3)- I think you're trying to pack far too much into it. Regarding Cairns and area, tour operators will be running to Daintree on Easter Sunday, the only days that some are closed are Christmas Day and New Year's day. Yes, I think Undara is worth an overnight - its a 4 hour trip each way from where you'll be staying in Cairns - there's an amazing amount of diversity in Far North Queensland - which includes the ancient Daintree Rainforest (world heritage listed) and the outback of Undara. You're going from coastal wet tropics to dry outback hinterland and the Undara Lava Tubes are truly fascinating. If I had a choice and time is of the essence, I would certainly choose Daintree and/or Undara over Kuranda.