Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Australia itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/australia-itinerary-134110/)

Mickey Jan 2nd, 2002 09:01 PM

Australia itinerary

We'd like to plan a trip to Australia for late Oct. or November and have about 9 days. Can anyone suggest some must-see places and how long to stay at each place? We were thinking of some sightseeing in Sydney and going to the GBR. Is there enough time to go to both places without being so rushed?<BR><BR>Also, which of the resort islands in the GBR is good? We've been looking into Hamilton and Heron, which seem to look nice.

Jan Jan 2nd, 2002 09:18 PM

Heron is nice but is isolated in as much as there is nothing else around and it is the very bottom of the reef. Hamilton is in the Whitsundays and there is a lot to do there on Hamilton or other islands. <BR>Lizard would be the ultimate though. <BR>Its not time, however you can still do it say 2 days in Syd and the rest on the islands.

marg Jan 2nd, 2002 09:23 PM

I agree with Jan. Heron is very isolated but at Hamilton Island, you can do boat trips to other islands. There would also be more variety with eating places etc. and more to do. You can also fly direct to Hamilton (you may have to change flights at Brisbane).

Janie Jan 3rd, 2002 11:23 PM

Hi Mickey,<BR><BR>Just come back from Oz. Spent 3 days in Sydney. WOW!<BR>These are a couple of things I would highly recommend and will fill up 2 days of your time.<BR><BR>Day 1 Morning. 9.30am-11.30am Magistic Tours 2 hour cruise - leaves King St Pier in Darling Harbour (Aquarium side keep walking around passed the aquarium) - AUS$20ea incl. coffee and cakes. Morning is best as it's not too hot and you can sit outside without fear of burning (the Autralian sun is hotter than anywhere in the world!)<BR><BR>Day 1 Afternoon. Return after your cruise stop for lunch at one of the many restaurants on the Aquarium side of Darling Harbour. Then head of to Harbourside Mall and wander through the shops for the afternoon.<BR><BR>Day 2 Morning. Ferry from Circular Key to Manly. Walk around the coast to Shelly Beach and others. Walk to the look out at the top of the hill (right from Manly beach). Best time is in the morning. We got to the beach at 8.30am and had breakfast at one of the many cafes on the seafront.<BR><BR>Day 2 Afternoon. Catch the ferry back to Circular Quay and wander around to Sydney Opera House, then back around the other side of the harbour to the Rocks area under the Harbour Bridge. <BR><BR>Day 2 Evening. Dinner at 6.30pm (catch the sunset) at the famous Doyles Restaurant in Watsons Bay - catch last ferry from Circular Quay at 5.15pm - try to book otherwise line up with all the other people - if you book ask for a table outside (MUST). No ferry's home - have to catch bus back to Circular Quay or Darling Harbour (Bus No's 324 & 325).<BR><BR>I would NOT do Sydney Aquarium - disappointing and far too crowded.<BR><BR>HOPE THIS HELPS. This should give you 2 full days in Sydney - busy, but also relaxing. I believe that these things I have told you to do are a MUST!<BR><BR>You can write to me via my email address is you like Mickey. <BR><BR>Have fun.<BR>

pat Jan 4th, 2002 08:08 AM

I loved the Sydney aquarium, and I am not even an aquarium kind of person. To be surrounded by glass on all sides was awesome, with all those big fish swimming by. You might also check out the Sydney bridge climb. It`s not scary or hard, and you get the best view in all of Sydney. Most of the time you spend looking, not clmbing. You don`t need to be in top physical shape to do it!

mina Jan 4th, 2002 05:43 PM

The bridgeclimb was definitely a hoot! I did it at 2 pm and it was a great way to pass three hours (I was traveling by myself) and then grab a beer afterwards (don't do it before, or they won't let you up there). Posters are right, it's not strenuous...when I went, a man in his 60's did it..and he had one wooden leg! But if you're afraid of heights...well, maybe you're better off just doing the beer part. :)