Australia in July?

Jan 28th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Australia in July?

I may find myself in Australia in the latter half of July. Are there are any areas that would have good weather for visiting at that time of year?
Jan 28th, 2009, 03:52 AM

If you want warm weather, head north. I particularly like the Top End of the Northern Territory (Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine) at that time of year. Far North Queensland (Cairns, Port Douglas) is also sunny and warm.
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Certainly anywhere from the tropic of Capricorn to the north will be mild to warmer the furtherest north with little chance of any rain.

Australian winters are not all that bad even in the south compared to what can be experienced in the northern US or Europe.
Somewhere around 10-15C fairly normal for day time averages in Melbourne or Sydney and other outhern mainland capitals with more chance of rain.
Snow only usually in alps and occasionally on lower tablelands.
Jan 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Red Centre is good at that time of year.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM

I would suggest you head to North Queensland (Whitsundays or north) and take the opportunity to visit the Great Barrier Reef.
Even northern NSW around Byron Bay can be quite mild in winter and could be worth considering.
Feb 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM

We visit Australia every year or two, both visiting my in-laws and traveling around. Because of US school vacation timing, we almost always go in July/August.

I agree with other posters - July is a particularly good time for the northern half of the country and much of the Outback. Even the southern states' July weather is not all that bad in the absolute sense. For instance, we recently took a 10 day trip to Adelaide and South Australia at the end of July. Weather was cool but quite lovely, just one frosty night in the Flinders Ranges.
Feb 8th, 2009, 03:05 AM

Best time for the great Barrier reef and the outback during the day!

Search this Thread