Australia in August = Confused?!

Jun 4th, 2015, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Australia in August = Confused?!

Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I are planning to head down to Melbourne in August (we're in early 30's and from India). Now, I know it's winter down under but August is the only time off we got and we've been wanting to do Australia for a while.

We have around 2 weeks and after discussing/debating various options, we're very confused. Both love food and oceans and culture, and driving, however, even after crawling the web for days we haven't been able to lock a plan down. So my questions are these:

1. Is winter in Australia a complete bummer? Better going some place else?

2. Apart from driving down to GOR (we haven't driven in snow before but very good drivers otherwise), what else could we try around Melbourne?

3. Girlfriend wants to do Sydney, I want to drive there, stopping off along the way but will we waste too much time and have nothing left for Sydney?

4. Current rough plan looks like this:
- 3 days Mel
- 2 days GOR
- 3 days Syd

Help??!!
Jun 4th, 2015, 04:41 AM

1. Of course Winter in Australia isn't a "complete bummer"! We're in the Southern Hemisphere & 23m of of us manage to survive here! It's hardly Suberia!

It's also rather a large island of some 7.7 million sq kms, so as one would expect, climate varies quite considerably end to end & side to side. Warmer in the north than south.

Have a look at www.bom.gov.au for temperature averages in various locations.

2. The GOR is highly unlikely to have snow; but may well be cold & windy.

Check the destination tabs here & on the " visit Victoria" website - lots of interesting 1 & 2 day trips.

3 & 4. You've listed 8 days but say you have "around 2 weeks). If you have 14 days, you could make an interesting drive to Sydney via Canberra ( others may differ on the scenic value of this drive).

Or - and this would probably be my preference in August - fly to Sydney & spend 3 days there & the remainder either doing 1 or 2 day trips out of the city or fly to the Gold or Sunshine Coast, for some warmer weather.

It would make most sense to fly "open jaw " - into one city & out of another to maximize your time & avoid backtracking to exit.

Suggest you have a look at flying out of Sydney, Brisbane & Gold Coast & see if you can make that work for you.

That's a start. You'll need to do a bit of research & see what suits your interests, budget & available time.
Jun 4th, 2015, 11:41 AM

August is OK for Melbourne. everyone there loves to rug up in scarves and coats and pretend they're in Europe.

The Great Ocean Road is spectacular at any time of the year, and you won't have snow.

If driving to Sydney, the Hume will take a day of solid driving, the Princes Hwy around the coast will take 3 days from Melbourne. it.s much prettier than the Hume but 2 lanes for much of the way and thus very slow driving.

Hope this helps, happy travels.
Jun 4th, 2015, 04:12 PM

Victoria in general can be pretty dismal in August but I think the GOR is at its best in Winter- wild & windy. No snow but pretty cold. If you get as far as Warrnambool the whales might still be at Logan's Beach.
Jun 4th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton guys.

Was wondering if it makes sense to drop Melbourne altogether and do Sydney and the Gold Coast and possibly Brisbane?

Or is GOR worth the trip to Melbourne?
Jun 5th, 2015, 02:51 PM

Personally, I think Melbourne is more interesting than Brisbane or the Gold Coast, but the weather will certainly be better as you go north.
Jun 5th, 2015, 04:03 PM

I so too, Lauren - just need to rug up for Melbourne in Winter.

OP - it would be for me, but I'd overnight 3 or 4 nights & do a loop taking in the Grampians, too. Have a look at the Great Ocean Road website & decide based on your priorities, time available & budget.
Jun 8th, 2015, 06:35 PM

Agree with Melbourne being more interesting than Brisbane as a city. But Brisbane and the Gold Coast are equally, if not better, bases for seeing beautiful countryside, rainforests, beaches and wildlife. Weather in August is typically very comfortable, not hot, but not cold enough to keep people away from the beaches.

And of course there's the option of Cairns, and the Barrier Reef.
Jun 15th, 2015, 05:55 PM

Melbourne is indeed fun to visit during the month of August. It may be chilly, but it gives you more opportunity to enjoy the street cafes and fantastic restos in the city. I would suggest you and your partner choose a self contained accommodation to make your stay comfortable with privacy. If you like, you can check out this website: http://www.stayinnercity.com.au/. My brother and his gf stayed at one of the featured properties and they had a great time.