Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australia for Xmas and New Year's 2007 - Is Ayer's Rock worth the trouble?

Sep 24th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be travelling in Africa, SE Asia, and Australia/NZ for about 4 months. We are planning on spending 16 days in Australia in Dec over the holiday period.

We have only recently received permission to extend our holidays from 3 mths to 4 mths from our bosses. So we have had to change our flight tickets and book our Aust/NZ trips just this past week. Much to our surprise, almost everything (of reasonable cost) is booked up in the Whitsunday Islands and in Sydney. Here is our itinerary so far:

Dec 17 - arrival in Sydney via Singapore and depart straightaway for the Whitsunday Islands
Dec 18-24 - stay in Brampton Island
Dec 25-29 - unplanned for now
Dec 30-Jan 3 - Sydney. Staying at an apartment hotel near the airport as it was the only affordable accomodations we could find.
Jan 4 - Depart for Auckland

I need help with the Xmas part of the itinerary. We are interested in snorkelling at the GBR.

1) Is it worth it to make a trip to Cairns or are the Whitsunday Islands good enough?
2) Is it worth the trouble to go to Ayer's Rock in Dec or will it be too hot and the flies too bothersome?
3) Any suggestions for a nice relaxing spot to spend Xmas? Sunshine Coast vs Gold Coast?
4) Any suggestions for a 3D/2N cruise in the Whitsunday Islands?
4) Is it difficult to go from and back to the airport area to Sydney Harbor for NYE festivities via public transit?

Looking forward to everyone's ideas and suggestions.
Sep 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Also, I would like to know if it is possible to store luggage at the Sydney airport. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Sep 25th, 2007, 02:06 AM

I guess you realise the Whitsundays are not on the reef, you need to take a boat from there to the reef. I would suggest going to Cairns or Port Douglas for the rainforest as well as the reef.

Uluru (Ayers Rock) will be very hot at that time of year, I think it's worth seeing but depends on your tolerance for heat. Hotels could be cheap at that time of year, there was a similar query some months back (use the search function above to locate the previous discussion.

The Gold Coast is very commercial and built-up, it wouldn't be my choice.

Public transport is usually OK on NYE, from the Harbour to the airport the train would be your best option, Circular Quay station is right on the Harbour.
Sep 25th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Hi Smallbf,

It's great, isn't it when you get that new lease of life and don't have to go home just yet.

But, yeh, the time you are planning to be here is pretty busy.

First, transport on NYE, here's the official website:

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nye/

Next - where to be 25-29 Dec.

In many ways I think the Whitsundays can be as good as what you can see from Cairns if we are talking life on/with/above and below the water.

Of course, if you go up to FNQ you will be able to visit the Daintree Rain Forest. And there's plenty of other stuff too. But bear in mind that it will be the beginning of the wet season.

Friends of mine some years ago took a Captain Cook Cruise out to Lizard Island over Christmas. That's one option but it won't be cheap.

There are loads of boats sailing out of Airlie Beach for 2/3 day cruises around the Whitsundays. If you like the idea of that do a google cos they come in all sort of shapes and sizes. As a couple you would normally have loads to choose from - luxe to seriously cheap but I don't know how many have departures on 24 Dec.

I think a trip around the Whitsundays on a boat would be my first pick.

Or you could check out Heron Island.

It all depends on your budget.

As for Uluru - spending Xmas there could be quite a trip, if you can get flights. It won't be THAT HOT!! I mean you've already been to AS especially if you!! icalthat n ouotieitBudsmnsdUluru -
Sep 25th, 2007, 04:01 AM

Hi Smallbf,

It's great, isn't it when you get that new lease of life and don't have to go home just yet.

But, yeh, the time you are planning to be here is pretty busy.

First, transport on NYE, here's the official website:

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nye/

Next - where to be 25-29 Dec.

In many ways I think the Whitsundays can be as good as what you can see from Cairns if we are talking life on/with/above and below the water.

Of course, if you go up to FNQ you will be able to visit the Daintree Rain Forest. And there's plenty of other stuff too. But bear in mind that it will be the beginning of the wet season.

Friends of mine some years ago took a Captain Cook Cruise out to Lizard Island over Christmas. That's one option but it won't be cheap.

There are loads of boats sailing out of Airlie Beach for 2/3 day cruises around the Whitsundays. If you like the idea of that do a google cos they come in all sort of shapes and sizes. As a couple you would normally have loads to choose from - luxe to seriously cheap but I don't know how many have departures on 24 Dec.

I think a trip around the Whitsundays on a boat would be my first pick.

Or you could check out Heron Island.

It all depends on your budget.

As for Uluru - spending Xmas there could be quite a trip, if you can get flights. It won't be THAT HOT!! I mean you've already been to Africa (you don't say where) and SE Asia, so you'll be able to handle it.

Budget is the thing. How much do you want to spend?

Happy travels ...!!!