Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Australia Dec. trip-Itinerary advice needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/australia-dec-trip-itinerary-advice-needed-249195/)

x Aug 13th, 2002 11:53 AM

Australia Dec. trip-Itinerary advice needed

I would like some advice on our upcoming Dec. trip. We have 3 wks. Thinking of flying into Sydney then right up to Herin Isl. for 4 nights. Then rent car in Gladstone and drive down to Sydney staying at dif. places along the way. Concerned if there are things to se betw. Gold Coast and Sydney, though. Alternatively, We could drive from Gladstone to the Gold coast area, and stay there. Then fly to Sydney, stay there then drive down south of Sydney to Bateman's Bay area. Any advice? We will have 2 children with us.

Liz Aug 13th, 2002 01:17 PM

This is a hard one X as we don't know your likes and dislikes or where you are from. <BR>Firstly Gladstone is an uninteresting industrial town, south of that you have Bundaberg ( although you can skip around it) which is where I grew up and there is little there for a tourist either. Next down the line is Maryborough and apart from its unique old Queensland houses it has less than B'berg to offer, next is Gympie with is the gateway to Fraser Island although you can go from Maryborough through to the Fraser coast and back down to Noosa and the Sunshine Coast thense to Brisbane. <BR>If I were you I would check on the Government train site and get the rail motor from Gladstone to Brisbane or Gladstone to the Sunshine Coast - getting off at Nambour and renting a car there for a couple of days perhaps - then training it onto Brisbane, do the hinterland, underwater-world, Australia Zoo, Noosa, Fraser Island if you want and swim and veg out on the Sunshine Coast. Rent a car in Brisbane or continue to the Gold Coast ( better to do that actually) and rent a car there for a few days and do the hinterland, border ranges and down to Byron Bay, theme parks if you like and fauna parks and shopping!!!!!!- take the car back on the G.Coast and fly from there to Sydney. Check the flights on the internet and you could make this an easy and cheap alternative.

liz Aug 13th, 2002 01:21 PM

PS<BR>On the Sunshine Coast - I am always forgetting this place - is the Deer Park which you can drive through if you are interested BUT if you have seen deer you can just go to the cafe' there and check out the nocturnal house, see the koalas and get a photo with them, then go into the yard with the kangaroos, wallabies and play with them for free. I always think that its politic though to at least by a cup of coffee first!!

Matt Aug 13th, 2002 02:01 PM

If you have the time to drive between the Gold Coast and Sydney, I would definitely do it. There is plenty to see, with loads of great beaches and excellent coastal towns. if you have the time you can also head inland in parts to the New England Hwy and see some great National parks, waterfalls, country towns and the like.

marg Aug 13th, 2002 06:09 PM

Having driven up and down the east coast many times, I'd suggest flying from Gladstone (or Rockhampton to the Sunshine Coast and hire a car from there. (The road runs inland and you don't see the coast the whole way.) If you want beaches, try Yeppoon just out of Rockhampton - nice beaches and good choice of accommodation.<BR>The scenery and beaches between the Sunshine Coast and Sydney are really lovely, and lots of places to stop and look at. Try staying at some of the little towns rather than the big towns.<BR>Some suggestions - the hinterland on the Sunshine Coast is worth a drive - beautiful scenery and great shops. <BR>Also the Emundi market on Saturday mornings is a must, also Hastings Steet in Noosa for up-market shopping and people watching, plus the Noosa National Park. The ginger factory at Yandina is interesting too.<BR>Other good drives are to Mount Tamborine and Springbrook (hinterland of Gold Coast).<BR>Hope you have a great holiday.<BR><BR>

liz Aug 13th, 2002 09:33 PM

Hi Marg <BR>You can't fly between Gladstone and the Sunshine Coast unless its a private deal and it would cost a fortune. You would fly into Brisbane or you could take the train which is very nice and goes where the road does not.