Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Australia And/Or New Zealand (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/australia-and-or-new-zealand-557696/)

Atlhorn Sep 11th, 2005 10:00 AM

Australia And/Or New Zealand

We are going to Australia and possibly New Zealand for 14 days in October 2005. Where would you recommend that we go? We would like to go to two or possibly three places. We are considering Sydney, Cairns and either Tasmania or Christ Church. How much time do you recommend spending at each site? What you recommend doing?

ElendilPickle Sep 11th, 2005 12:34 PM

There is probably a way to fit in both countries in 14 days, but you'll be spending an awful lot of time traveling.

I'd suggest you pick one country and spend all your time there.

Lee Ann

Melnq8 Sep 11th, 2005 04:34 PM

I agree with Lee Ann - 14 days isn't long enough to give one country justice, let alone two. We spent 16 days in Tasmania alone last year and we typically spend three weeks or more each time we visit the South Island of NZ. I realize not everyone can do this, but I sincerely believe that you'll have a much more enjoyable trip if you narrow your options considerably.

October is a great time to visit Tasmania, and there's so much to see and do there that you can easily fill 14 days or more. Or, you might want to divide your time between Tasmania and Melbourne - only 45 minutes apart by plane yet completely different from each another. You might consider seeing the Great Ocean Road while in Melbourne as well.

Alternatively, you might opt to spend all that time on one island in NZ. My personal favorite is the South Island. You can easily spend 14 days or several months there - there's so much to see and do you're spoiled for choice.

Australia is vast. Australia and NZ are about 1,200 miles apart, depending on where you leave from. If you try to see both countries in such a short time, you'll no doubt spend all your time on planes and in airports and your holiday will be a rushed blur.

Neil_Oz Sep 11th, 2005 05:50 PM

Another vote for one country only. In two weeks you could sample, but not explore in any depth, three parts of Australia - e.g. 5 days in Cairns, 4 in Sydney and 5 in Tasmania. In the same time in NZ you could rush the North and South Islands or take your time in just the SI. Both Tasmania and NZ are best explored by car. Christchurch is a pleasant city but best treated as a jumping-off point for the scenic attractions to the south and west.

Once you've picked a country I suggest buying a guidebook, using the search engine on this site and once you have a better idea of an itinerary asking more detailed questions here. And/or, give us an idea of your interests. Australia is an entire continent and NZ isn't all that small either, and both offer a very wide spectrum of experiences.

GBZ Sep 12th, 2005 03:44 PM

Sorry, to difficult to see both countries. You will have to pick one and come back for another holiday for the other. Here is some NZ info to help New Zealand get your vote.
www.newzealandatoz.com
Thanks, Glenn

Kiwis2 Sep 13th, 2005 01:03 AM

While I agree with the others - that you would be better to stick to one country, if you are going to select just three spots, there is not any reason you could not add Queenstown instead of Tasmania to Sydney & Cairns.

I would suggest Queenstown and surrounding areas over any of the other spots in NZ, purely for the stunning scenery. Christchurch is lovely but not worth the effort for the travel involved.

Cairns, Sydney & Queenstown would get my vote - The Reef, the city & the mountains - 4 days each in each of these areas would give you enough of an appreciation to plan much longer trips where you can add places like Melbourne, Tasmania, Dunedin, Abel Tasman.