Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Australia 4 Weeks (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/australia-4-weeks-942349/)

mcdanielism Jul 10th, 2012 07:46 PM

Australia 4 Weeks

Hi,

So I'm working on an itinerary and hoping to get some feedback from the experts here. 27 days, 25 nights in hotel. Loosing some time on the way over. First time to Australia. Doing trip like it may be my last.

GENERAL ITINERARY
- USA to Melbourne - 5 days/4 nights - have to recover from trip and Melbourne seems like my kind of place
- Coastal Road - 4 days/3 nights - i would stay in a couple towns
- Sydney - 4 days/3 nights - fly from Melbourne
- Ayers Rock - 4 days/ 3 nights - fly spend 3 nights and 2 full days
- Brisbane/Byron Bay - 6 days/5 nights - really staying in Byron Bay for a wedding - fly from Ayers to Brisbane
- Reef (Airle Beach) - 5 days/ 4 nights
- Go to Whitsundays - do a tour, take a sail, still figuring that out.
- Back to Brisbane - 1 night
- Fly Home

Questions
- Am I trying to do to much?
- Should I increase decrease days in some places?
- Should I skip Ayers Rock?

More information
- I most likely will be travelling alone for most of this.
- I figure I will mostly want to stay on the east & southeast side, and not venture west or central Australia except maybe Ayers Rock
- 3.5 weeks definitely, perhaps a couple days over, but 21 days for sure.
- Seems Sydney or Melbourne to start, with a mix of flying and driving and making my way up to Byron Bay

INTERESTS
- A good mix between urban, adventure and outdoors (nature, wildlife). Would love to visit the Barrier Reef, the great coastal road, do some surfing (I have done a little)
- I'm an amateur photographer so will be interested in taking lots of pics.
- Great Coastal road - this seems like something I would love to do this one for sure.
- Ayers Rock/Uluru - friend who lives there says I really should go here, but it's expensive, and complicates the trip a good deal.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. This one is a bit challenging to plan.

AlanJG Jul 10th, 2012 11:47 PM

Looks like a great trip to me. Hope you have a most wonderful time.

longhorn55 Jul 11th, 2012 08:12 AM

1. I agree with Alan that this looks like a fine trip. I don't think you are trying to do too much.

2. For the Coastal Road portion of your trip, are you planning to drive from Melbourne, turn around and drive back to Melbourne? If so, I might suggest that you continue toward Adelaide instead of returning to Melbourne. We did this trip in reverse (Adelaide to Melbourne) a few years ago, taking 3 nights and 4 days. It was not a rushed trip at all. Also, once you get to Adelaide, you may want to go to Kangaroo Island in lieu of your proposed trip to Uluru (Ayers Rock).

3. I have been to Uluru twice and enjoyed it, but it's certainly not for everyone. It's probably the kind of place that deserves a visit only if you really, really want to go there. As you have mentioned, the prices and the logistics can be daunting. If you aren't "wow'ed" about what you have read about Uluru, maybe you should skip it, no matter what your friend, I, or anyone else says.

Judith_Hunter Jul 12th, 2012 12:22 PM

Hi
What time of year are you coming?

RalphR Jul 13th, 2012 03:48 AM

Agree with Longhorn about continuing on the Great Ocean Rd to Adelaide. Besides Kangaroo Island, you could drive north to the Flinders Ranges for a taste of the real Outback. Then fly to Sydney from Adelaide. The Flinders Ranges (e.g. Wilpena Pound) are very beautiful. You could also visit some of the beautiful wine country around Adelaide.

The other suggestion would be not to drive through to Adelaide, but to loop back to Melbourne through the Grampian Ranges. Not as "outbacky" but are highly regarded for scenery and wildlife.

I love the Red Center, but go only if you can make it worth your while by seeing some of the other sights like Kings Canyon and the Olgas. Especially if you drive up to the Flinders Ranges, you could bypass the red Center and say you've seen the Outback.

The Brisbane/Gold Coast area has a lot of natural beauty. Be sure to visit Lamington National Park while you're there.

For the Barrier Reef, I'd suggest somewhere near Cairns as your base (say Port Douglas), rather than Airlie Beach. In general more to do and see besides the Reef. And I'd spend more time up there if you can - maybe shave a day or two from your city visits.

mcdanielism Aug 4th, 2012 12:54 PM

@longhorn - thanks you definately have given me food for thought and some new ideas. Kangaroo sounds interesting.

@Judith - October

@Ralph - thanks for more information and ideas. You also have given me good food for thought and more to research.

This is a big trip and requires a lot of thought and planning, but you guys have helped me a lot.

Thanks!

AlanJG Aug 4th, 2012 03:48 PM

In October the Flinders Ranges should be great. Lots of wonderful photographic opportunities and good walks. I particularly like the Brachina Gorge drive. Make sure you take the little extra walks if you have any interest in geological or biological prehistory.

The Wilpina Pound/ St Mary's Peak walk is wonderful. Be aware that this is one place where I found the walking times posted to be an accurate reflection of the time needed walking, so add on the time you need for sitting around, photography and eating lunch.

http://www.nationalparkguide.com.au/...national-park/

This time of year can be a bit windy or absolutely still so take that into account when planning your reef and water days. Flexibility is the key and as it is outside peak times it should be easy enough to do that. The Whitsundays are great http://www.tourismwhitsundays.com.au/ but I am biased in favour of north Queensland because of the hinterland. Not that there is nothing to do around Mackay and Proserpine, just much more on the Atherton Tablelands and points further west. http://www.athertoninformationcentre...ineraries.html
www.yungaburra.com
www.chillagoehub.com.au/
undara.com.au/
http://www.cairnsgreatbarrierreef.org.au/

Libretto Aug 6th, 2012 12:41 AM

I'd second the idea of Wilpena Pound if you have the time. It's such an interesting part of Australia . Picture red earth, many, many emus, wallabies and kangaroos, interesting abandoned houses/settlements, and the unique land form of the Pound itself. I really loved it and found October a fantastic time to visit, because there are few flies, beautiful warm afternoons but cool, even cold evenings. The light is magical, too.
Have a wonderful time in Australia!

Melnq8 Aug 6th, 2012 03:47 PM

And the stars...we still talk about the stars after our trip to the Flinders Ranges three years ago.

mcdanielism Aug 6th, 2012 09:27 PM

@AlanJG - thanks for more detailed tips! That kind of thing really helps.
Regarding - St Mary's Hike - inside route (6hrs) or outside better?

Regarding Reef - do you mean that I can't count on going out any day because conditions are bad? With a limited amount of time in each area that could prove difficult but good to know.

I am starting to lean toward Melbourne, Great Ocean Road, Adelaide -> Flinders Range -> Kangaroo Island & skip Ayers

If i had to pick just one, Kangaroo or Flinders, what you all think?

@Libretto - good to here and thank you.

Thanks again.