COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Aussies, what's your favorite day of the year in Sydney?

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Maggi

I'm thinking it would be a blast to be in Sydney on New Years Eve. Is there any other day to top it?

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 10:25 PM
David

Hi again Maggi,
Its been a while since we lived in the Sydney area but going on your previous post re summer and beaches the following are event type days in Sydney depending on your likes;
(a) January sees a number of sporting events, especially at the Sydney Cricket Ground. There will be one day international cricket games on a number of days against other nations; New Zealand and South Africa in 2002, England and Sri Lanka in 2003.
(b) Australia Day is January 26...there are usually a number of events around that.
(c) Gay and lesbian martigras at the end of February (I think?)
(d) February and March see the commencement of three other popular Australian sports, Rugby League, Australian Rules football and Rugby Union. Some of these games are at the Olympic Stadium which is well worth a visit. These sports carry on until September.
(e) The Royal Easter Show is a huge event that goes for a number of weeks.
(f) ANZAC day on the 25th of April.
(g) Skipping winter in view of your other post I guess you go the boat race that starts on Boxing day.

Maggi, there is heaps happening in Sydney all the time. I have hardly scratched the surface here and have certainly not done "events" in Sydney any justice at all. I like sports as you can tell. People who live in Sydney and enjoy the Arts will probably be able to add alot more value to your question. For example, I believe the Festival of Sydney is on at the moment.

Cheers
David

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Maggi

David, thanks so much for the input! We are music and art lovers (a little bit more than sports, I admit, although I would love to see a good cricket match). Sydney is fascinating to me - one to add to our list of major world cities to visit.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 11:34 AM
LizF

I'm with David in this. New Years is probably the best with the fireworks in the evening and on NY Day with the Sydney to Hobart race starting. However the Opera House has its own website and you can check on whats coming up there. But January and February are the months that the cricket will be on and after the whitewash of South Africa in the test I am sure that they will be chaffing at the bit to get back at us in the one-days Internationals so should be a good series.
Sydney loves to put on a party and usually does for some reason or another - the warmer months are usually better than the colder months though.
You will have a great time there whenever you go.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Prue

Maggi,
At this time of year in Sydney there is the Festival of Sydney which includes a number of musical and dramatic acts from all over the world.
Also outdoor concerts in the Domain which range from Country & Western to Opera - and which are hugely popular.
As well there a number of outdoor concerts during February/March at the Zoo, and movie screenings at some of the parks and the Botanic Gardens.
The Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race actually begins on Boxing Day.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 05:39 PM
sonia

Hi

I have lived in Sydney since last February, so I have a pretty good idea of the year's events!!

I would have to say that NYE is spectacular. The opera house has a concert that night but you would need to book way in advance. Be aware that teh opera house has no performances in late december and early Jan.

If you dont want to brave the crowds on nye, i would book a hotel such as the Quay West, which has 180 degree views (fireworks dont just go from the bridge but all up the harbour) and balconies so you can stand outside and watch the show. Again, you will need to think about booking nay accomodation with a view asap!!!

Other than that, every day in Sydney is great!!!!!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Maggi

Thanks, Sonia. Checked out the Quay West online - it looks beautiful, albeit pricey. I would seriously consider it, though. Before I try to book, are there any other hotels that have similar views?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:18 AM
LizF

The ANA hotel has good views of the harbour but again you would have to state that you wanted views across the harbour.
There are many hotels on the North side of Sydney with great views of the events but I don't know the names of them - search the web and see what comes up as those hotels tend to be cheaper. You have time to write to them and find out what they can offer.
I would say though that if you can stretch your budget to Quay West and have a splurge - it would be worth it as you really have to be "there" on the Circular Quay side to be in the fun and not just to see the fireworks.